Daiwa DF100A Giant spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lforet2002, Jun 22, 2009.

1. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
  2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never used one but after seeing it now I want one.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like Daiwa equipment but this reel is going to be heavy, and has a slow retrieve.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

No..........IT"S NOT POINTLESS:wink:

5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the feedback guys..I went to Academy and BPS but neither of them had them in stock..I wanted to get a glimpse at the reel before I bought it..I can order it online but really wanted to get some feedback first..I think for the price its worth giving it a shot..

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    There was another thread on here quite a while ago, I believe, about that reel. If I remember correctly (no promises there) the feedback was mostly positive. You have to take it for what it is....a huge, lower priced reel. Don't go into it expecting a glass smooth retrieve and a lot of bells and whistles. It's probably not going to be "fun" to use either, as big as it is. You'll need a beast of a rod too. No point in going that heavy and putting it on a white Ugly Stick Catfish rod. :wink:

7. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I was thinking of putting it on a Ugly stik Tiger..Thought that would be a good combo...

8. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I have one and personally don't like it.I can have the drag set all the way down and steel have it pull line out on a decent snag.I also don't like the clicking sound it makes while reeling it in.Its louder than most clickers.

It can handle a decent fish and takes a boat load of line so you don't have to worry about getting spooled.It is heavy but the weight dosnt bother me.

9. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    I have 2 of these and they are great spinning reels for the price. $32 at Academy. I've had them for a good while now and not had any maintenance issues.

The low retrieve ratio 3.4:1 is not an issue cause the reel is so large. Each turn of the handle recovers a whopping 3ft 3inches of line. That's more than 99 percent of the reels out there. Don't be turned off by the 3.4 : 1.

Sure it's big, heavy, and bulky. You don't want to cast plugs or tins all day. It's not for that. But for bottom fishing with cut bait, setting in a rod holder, and targeting big fish it's great. Not the best for small fish cause you'll have them waterskiing across the surface.

I only bank fish. I have these on 10 Ft surf rods and spooled with 30lb test. It takes a 1/4 lb spool of mono to fill it initially. I usually use 4 to 8 ounces of lead and a big gizzard head or chunk bait. Works just great in this scenario.

I don't have an issue with the drag on mine. Sure, it's not the smoothest drag, but I did not expect it to be for $32. It is best described as functional. The reel itself is not the smoothest, but again it's 32 bucks.

It looks like something made back in the 70's. It does not have an interchangeable handle. It is left hand retrieve only just like most of the spinning reels back then. It does not have IAR either.

What it is, is a big, tough reel for all of 32 bucks. It's durabilty and strength more than compensate for it's deficiencies.. I will not hesitate to purchase more of these.

10. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
  11. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    I too have the 80 size Catmaxx spinning reel I picked up when it was on sale for $30 about 2 years ago.. It's a good reel and as stated has a good drag. The line lay is such that it casts 20 lb test extremely well. It does have IAR and the handle is interchangeable. But I would much rather have the Daiwa giant for bottom fishing.. It's a much sturdier reel.