Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Daggone Turtles!

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  katkiller77 
#1 ·
I bet ya'll wondered what happened to me since I haven't posted anything for more than a week.

The truth is....I've been fishing each and every day except today since last Thursday. (today I went mushroom hunting).

The weather has been phenomenal and it's been awesome getting out and all, but there's one problem. I'm catching everything but catfish.

I've caught a drum, a nice small mouth, a muskie and of course, a big ole snapping turtle, my first of many this year I'm sure.

It never fails especialy at Caesar's Creek Lake. I've caught more turtles there than fish. I've caught them on night crawlers, blue gill, bass minnows, chicken liver. No matter what I do the turtles are always biting.

What can I use that the turtles won't bite on? I'm sick of having to cut my line and lose my rig every time I get ahold of one.

Also, is Caesar's Creek the only place folks are having this trouble? I'd love to fish a place with no turtles, if ya'll know of one, please clue me in.

I'm heading out to the lake first thing in the morning. Good luck to all you brothers and sisters who are fishing this week end.

:smile2:

See less See more
#4 ·
Use bigger bait! :smile2:
Of course Jason ... If Angie used bigger baits she would probably just catch bigger turtles .... :wink: ... I used to use a chunk of pork or beef the size of your fist to catch big snappers in the Licking River .... Garry-

#7 ·
Use bigger bait! :smile2: turtles will mess with smaller baits such as lil gills, chubs, etc. And, the lil cats as well. UPSIZE! to stay away from the unwanted creatures.....:wink::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: rollo
I gotta go with Rollo on this. If there are too many turtles they'll still eat them. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.:wink::big_smile:

#9 ·
Hey rollo, I agree with you to an extent but guess what happened to me about 3 years ago. Okay I will have to say this was at a paylake before my river days came along. I had a float go down and set the hook and the set was nice and solid so i had no doubt ti was a nice fish. You know another reason why, cuz i was using a live goldfish and that sucker was HUGE! dude there was some crazy guy there that actually had the balls to grab the thing, it was by far the biggest one ive ever seen in the wild. There is on equivilant in size at the Newport Aquarium if you have ever been there. Put it to you this way, the paylake used those big 55 gallon drums for garbage cans. It did fit but it was actually bowing the can because the shell was hitting both sides of the can. if you get on of those mizzbigcat, just cut the line!!!:wink:

#11 ·
Hey Angie its good to see you posted again I was wondering where you been to, its good to hear your doing good and that you have gotten out and fished and done some mushroom hunting, if theres anything that I can ever do to help ya just let me know and keep up the good work and hopefully you will catch some good fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.