Daggone Turtles!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mizzbigcat, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I bet ya'll wondered what happened to me since I haven't posted anything for more than a week.

The truth is....I've been fishing each and every day except today since last Thursday. (today I went mushroom hunting).

The weather has been phenomenal and it's been awesome getting out and all, but there's one problem. I'm catching everything but catfish.

I've caught a drum, a nice small mouth, a muskie and of course, a big ole snapping turtle, my first of many this year I'm sure.

It never fails especialy at Caesar's Creek Lake. I've caught more turtles there than fish. I've caught them on night crawlers, blue gill, bass minnows, chicken liver. No matter what I do the turtles are always biting.

What can I use that the turtles won't bite on? I'm sick of having to cut my line and lose my rig every time I get ahold of one.

Also, is Caesar's Creek the only place folks are having this trouble? I'd love to fish a place with no turtles, if ya'll know of one, please clue me in.

I'm heading out to the lake first thing in the morning. Good luck to all you brothers and sisters who are fishing this week end.

:smile2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use bigger bait! :smile2: turtles will mess with smaller baits such as lil gills, chubs, etc. And, the lil cats as well. UPSIZE! to stay away from the unwanted creatures.....:wink::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: rollo

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

You might try Florida Angie .... I never caught one in 20 plus years fishing down there for cats .... :wink: Garry-

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Of course Jason ... If Angie used bigger baits she would probably just catch bigger turtles .... :wink: ... I used to use a chunk of pork or beef the size of your fist to catch big snappers in the Licking River .... Garry-

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great job getting out there. Too bad you are not having any luck with Mr. Whiskers! Just keep on trying and I'm sure you'll get turned onto them Good luck.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm sure ya are doin better than alot of folks. LOL!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I gotta go with Rollo on this. If there are too many turtles they'll still eat them. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.:wink::big_smile:

8. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    big snappers can eat just about anything. There are alot of big ones around here in the creeks and ponds. however i never caught one in the mighty ohio yet lol might have to find a new spot lol turtle soup is pretty good:smile2:

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey rollo, I agree with you to an extent but guess what happened to me about 3 years ago. Okay I will have to say this was at a paylake before my river days came along. I had a float go down and set the hook and the set was nice and solid so i had no doubt ti was a nice fish. You know another reason why, cuz i was using a live goldfish and that sucker was HUGE! dude there was some crazy guy there that actually had the balls to grab the thing, it was by far the biggest one ive ever seen in the wild. There is on equivilant in size at the Newport Aquarium if you have ever been there. Put it to you this way, the paylake used those big 55 gallon drums for garbage cans. It did fit but it was actually bowing the can because the shell was hitting both sides of the can. if you get on of those mizzbigcat, just cut the line!!!:wink:

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    you'll get some cats soon.or just glue some whiskers on the turtles :eek:oooh:

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Angie its good to see you posted again I was wondering where you been to, its good to hear your doing good and that you have gotten out and fished and done some mushroom hunting, if theres anything that I can ever do to help ya just let me know and keep up the good work and hopefully you will catch some good fish.

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    great miami river is turtle adventure as well angi nice to be back just alot going these days rick