Dad's "Prize" Tomato

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Catgirl, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

All you tomato lovers (especially the folks who have no ripe ones yet :wink:), eat your hearts out :smile2:. I guess this was the biggest tomato Dad ever grew, 1979. Even last summer, when he was sick and not in his right mind most of the time, I got him to talk about this tomato. He said it weighed a pound. He didn't really win a prize with it, but he sure was proud of it. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    MMM... Bet that would've made a real nice toasted tomato sandwhich!! :big_smile: Thanks for sharing that Tanya!! My fiance and I just put in our first garden this year our tomato plants are just starting to get small green tomatoes so it'll be awhile yet. Did your father give you any advice on growing tomatoes that you could pass along to a new gardener? :big_smile:

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Mmm wonder Bread,Salt,tomato and or mircale whip :dribble:

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

No, not that I can recall Shane. However, we have quite a few great gardeners in this forum who I'm positive have some tips. Hopefully they'll chime in here before long. :cool2:

5. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I agree about the miracle whip Mike!! Gotta have the zip!! :smile2:

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Tanya....and I'm one of those still waiting for mine to ripen. I've got cherry tomatoes coming on real good, but the others are still green. It was so late when we finally got them in the ground; hope they don't burn up before they start making!
    Sorry guys, gotta have Hellman's Mayo w/the tomato sandwich!:wink:

7. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh man how I miss living with Grandma! She always had a garden full of fresh ones and a basement full of canned ones in the winter! Seeing that tomato makes me want a big fat BLT!

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'm with Roxie on the mayo instead of salad dressing, and Hellman's will do. Bet y'all don't have JFG in LA. :wink:

Matt, my friend Bill was in NYC once, and ordered a BLT in some deli. He said it was a head of lettuce, cored and split in half, with about 1/3 taken out....inside that was stuffed a whole sliced tomato, and a big ball of bacon strips, 'bout half a pound or more. :smile2:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sweetie,I have to say thats the BEST lookin 30 year old tomato I ever seen:wink::cool2: Thats a beauty. My grandma had the knack for it ,not my dad,or me. I remember she told me once when I was around 15 . Get the broom and just whup then maters around ,they'll start producing,Yup you guessed it ,Mine whithered and died .:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    An all this time I figured you, Miss T, were his favorite tomato.

11. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    This prompts me to make a BLT on my lunch break - complete with pepper and a dash of salt. Thanks for the inspiration!:wink:

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
  13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Been eatin BLT's a couple of nights a week. Love them fresh maters!!

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks Tanya for the family story an the nice pic. Some salt an now we got a meal there for sure.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Tanya for sharing the pic and story of a Whopper of a tomato. Years ago we used to grow a tomato that was called Delicious and they got large that way and was a smooth skin tomato. Brought back good memories.