CVA Optima Pro .50 cal

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by hookeye, Aug 16, 2005.

1. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Been thinking about buying one of these break actions. Anybody own one or had any experience with them.

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I came across a website once that did a write up on a lot of the more common models as well as a critique of the manufacturers' themselves. If I can find it, I'll post it here. Great info.

/scott

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I got one last year for christman and I love it. Its pretty heavy to carry but its an awsome rifle.

4. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guy's,
    I went and bought myself one the other day, think I'll give my old bolt a rest this year.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    My friend Todd, got one and loves it. I think I'm going to try blackpowder this year. It is a bit heavy ,but very accurate.

6. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    i've got a thompson center encore .45 cal muzzeloader.... was having trouble grouping shots at first but with 120 grains of pyro select powder and the hornady sst sabots its nearly as accurate at 100 yards as the .308 barrel. PS i'd recomend shying away from the powerbelts and the drop in pellets if u are looking for accuracy.

7. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    all i use is power belts and drop in powder and I dont have a problem you just have to adjust the amount and weight of your bullet to find out what your gun likes the best. I do have a buddie that only uses round balls and poweder and he finds the same thing true with that.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Guys the biggest problem(imho) with any of the modern muzzle loaders is not so much what you shoot i.e. bullets,powder etc. It's the trigger. We call them lawyer triggers. Most of them are 7 or 8 pound pull and lots of drag. Even an expensive highly tuned bench rifle would shoot bad with these triggers. You can cut the size of your groups at least in half with a good light, crisp trigger. Any competant gunsmith can perform this task. Around here we get trigger jobs done for about $35.

whatever it takes

Cheez

9. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is a very good point Cheez, trigger pull definately affects accuracy.

10. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I bought a CVA Optima last year and I love it. I hunt Fort Campbell alot and it is great for there. It is alittle heavy but it is very accurate. I have a Simmons 3x9 on it and I shoot 100 grns of Triple 7 pellets and a 349 grain powerbelt. It is very deadly at 100 yards. I dropped a nice 8 point at that range and he only ran 20 feet. I think you will truely like it.

11. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    thanks for the infor cheez im going ot look into getting my trigger job done.

12. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    For the money,it is hard to beat a CVA.Yes the Optima is a bit heavy,but they point and swing awsome.As far as being accurate,they get the job done in a hurry.Personally I wouldn't trade my Optima for any of those 600-700 dollar guns.