Cuz, short wall dikes or blown out dikes?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mocathunter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Just wanted to compare a little with my fellow whisker stickers. Last year we chewed the fat a little about short walled wing dykes. I took Cuz's advice and started focusing on them a little more. I do believe the blues tend to congregate to them a little more. But, my real question is the following. I have been getting just as many blues out of the fast water on the cuts made when the water blows out a wing dyke. Generally the cut is made on the inside portion of the dyke. As long as there is a scour hole behind it, I seem to get into the blues. Now until last weekend, I had not gotten a fish over 18 lbs. out of one of these. So I assumed the bigger blues weren't hanging to the inside cuts much. But a 40 lb. blue last weekend has got me questioning it. So what is you all's experience. Are there just as many large blues frequenting the cuts in blown dykes, as there are around short walled dykes?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I find the cuts to be pretty good. Although like you never have never got anything over 20 pounds. The only time I have tried fishing the hole behind the dyke is in the daylight. I might have to borrow cuz's tactic and start fishing the holes at night.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Where do you anchor when fishing the blown-out dykes? I've only seen a few that were blown out and the hole wasn't all that wide - certainly not big enough to safely take a boat through. Maybe the ones you're referring to are bigger holes?

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    None of the holes in the dykes are that big. There are two ways to fish them pull up on the inside of the dyke stay close to it though as the water is deeper there. Another way is to fish from up above the dyke.

5. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    Are you fishing in the scour hole, upstream of it, or along the edges of it?

6. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    None of them are deep enough to boat thru. Have to anchor up next to the dyke to fish them. Fish in the scour hole by day, and fish the up river edge at night; that is where the rock typically fades off into the hole.

7. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Just a suggestion! Try a freah water feed. You know, another spring, creek or water flow that has current. Maybe a strong current. Try a flow of a fast current about 10 yrd's down from the contact to the main. Just a suggestion! Maybe when the weather has cooled down a bit. Or has rain in it . Alot of cool rain in it. Just a suggestion that is.:big_smile:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey guys, if you figure out how to fish those blow outs let me know. I had the same problem fishing them. Nothing But Dinks. I've never taken a big fish off of those blowouts, but I have caught fish in numbers. The ones I have caught, I got on the upper side of the blowout and not the lower side, ironically, even though it has a heck of a deep hole. I dont even try fishing them anymore. I hammer those short walls though. I've just about come to the conclusion that those shorter walls produce bigger fish because the current just isnt quite as strong. I certainly am no expert, but if I was a big fish I sure wouldnt want to work to hard for my dinner. I've noticed a larger population of shad around the shorter dykes too, probably due to less current. I've fished the missouri and upper Miss quite a bit lately, and I can tell you the current in my neck of the woods is considerably faster than both. Its the fastest current I have seen on the Big River bar none. I proved my theory on my GPS last week, averaging 2 mph faster on my stretch than the Missouri River. I've managed to get to a point where I really concentrate on the current breaks in relation to the walls, as opposed to how deep a hole is. Of course, my last two months of fishing have produced nothing but a 15 pound Blue. The big ones should start biting again real soon. I've always said I've caught my biggest fish in August and I wasnt kidding. I honestly dont know what causes it. June usually stinks, July finds me getting a few dinks, and bam, theres about a three week period in August where i usually catch a half dozen 40's or so, maybe a 50, and usually can wack a real pig during that time. My Avatar is a 63 caught last August, and I wacked my biggest a 94 in August of 2001. I cant for the life of me figure out why August has been so good. Perhaps these fish are migrating through my area for some reason, or perhaps they just go nuts eating everything in site. I can tell ya they are all real fat and have been eating darn good. I learn alot from you guys as well. By sharing our observations, we all learn a little something here and there and makes our fishing excursions a little more enjoyable. Good Luck to you all. :cool2:

9. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Do you mean big river as in "The Big River?"
    I have never caught anything there. I have fished the Byrnes Mill access a couple of times.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nope, I meant the Mississippi River. haha. Ur right though, we do have a Big River too dont we? BTW, they catch some nice flatheads outa the big river. I think you need a jet unit to run it though as its pretty shallow in spots.

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    John, you just need to get yourself a fighting chair and some downriggers for that fast current :big_smile:

It seems like I've been fishing more fast water this year than last year. Last year 8 ounce sinkers were standard protocol. Now it seems like I'm reaching for 12's a lot more often. A 40 lber in "12 ounce current" is quite a workout, LOL.

Having said that, I haven't done much good on Dikes this year. 25 lbs has been my biggest. 30's & 40's have come on revetment banks & the 2- 50+'s have been in cuts.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like you are doing well Shane. Keep at it my man. Sounds like you guys are pretty much over the spawn to be putting nice fish like that in the boat. We cant buy a big one right now. Its been terrible. But, it usually is during June and first part of July. I've found the early morning bite is considerably better than the evening bite also. Keep wacking em Shane. I'm betting you put another pig in the boat this summer. good luck.

13. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Okay guys your confusing me. Short walled? Just very short but long dykes running perpendicular to the river? Revetment banks?

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Bill, How ya been? We are referring to just short dykes in general. Not the parallel dykes, but the ones that are perpendicular to the banks. If you draw a line from dyke tip to dyke tip to the horizon, you will notice that some dykes are not nearly as long as the others. These are the ones we are referring too. The current isnt as strong on these walls due to being farther from the channel. A couple of us have noticed that these shorter walls hold more bait, and seem to hold more catfish. We are all guessing at theories. I dont even fish the long ones anymore. You are right about the rock revetments though. If you can find a rock revetment, that joins a short dyke and it has a little bit of current you might have found a pretty good spot. Give it a try and let us know how it works. Better yet, go fishing with me.

15. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Hey cuz, I've been catching most of my bigger blues off the parallel dykes (dyke tips) with current. Mainly 6 to 9 feet deep at night. Bunches of current too.

The short dykes will have lower current but is there still sufficient current there to hold blues? What kind of depth are you looking for?

16. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have been fishing the bottom side of the dikes with blow outs. In the last 2 weeks we have caught several in the 35lb range and one at 44lbs. (My sons personal best ) Numberous in the 10-25 lb range. I have not tried at the ends of the shorter dikes. We have be fishing at night. Most bites seen to be at the current edge of the whole. Anchor on dike and let the current pull the boat back towads the drop off, tie off and cast to whole.. Using fresh cut shad, (spending about an hour throwing small cast net for bait. Mostly Med and a few larger shad.) most bites comming around 4 AM thru 7 AM. 1 35+ lb came 10 AM. I'm going have to start trying the shorter dikes.....when these areas slow down. Personal best 42lb blue came from below blowout in dike.

17. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    On the Missi where I fish (below lock 22), the wing dikes are almost all long and reach the channel. The current is really screaming at the ends and I was wondering how people could use 3 or 4 oz sinkers. This is 8 to 12 oz current for me, but I have not caught too much. I will seek shorter dikes on my searches and be a little more confident in using the 12's to hold the holes. What do you think of dikes and overflows in the side channels? These areas often have 30' holes, but are a bit shallow above and below for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Any thoughts on blues in these areas? Flatheads? Really appreciate your thoughts. Hannibal Mike

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Cuz, you are fishing the down side of those short dikes arent you? Are you still using that nasty fat head carp sides? I have fished those blow outs too but I've only caught dinks.. how far out from the blow out are you guys actually fishing??

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Dave. Yeah, I do fish the downside of those dykes mostly. I like to ease up to the tip of the dyke pitch the anchor out and back off about 20 yards or so. Then I'll put out a five rod spread. I'll drop two rigs straight under the boat, and cast three rods quite a ways out along the seam in current rip. I am not only trying to fish the hole below the dyke, but I like to have at least one rig near the hump that is formed downstream of the blowout. More often than not, I get my bigger fish off of those humps. I still use the big heads for bait, but not very often. I'm catching shad to easily to need the big heads. I caught several mooneyes in my net two days ago and caught 4 real nice blues on them. They seem to work better than the gizzard shads and greenbacks, but they are hard to find around here. Good Luck Fishing.

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Of course, Cuz would never do this on the Mississippi River, where only 2 rods are allowed. For that matter, anywhere else in Missouri, where only three rods are allowed. LOL