cutting lead down to size

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishstick, Aug 26, 2008.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    HELP! i've got a chunk of lead about 2 in. thick by 12 in. square that i need to cut into about 3 in. squares to fit my melt pot. the best that i have done is shave off a small corner with my sawsall and lubricating with WD-40. anyone got a better idea for cutting this thing up.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Get a BIG-POT and melt that big dude down....:tounge_out: Go bank fishing one night & build a big fire & set that dude on it i use those half-corn cob shaped cornbread pans & fill it up then let it cool down....they fit my melting poy nicely:wink: Never found anything that would cut lead very good...:big_smile:

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    beat it down with a hammer till it gets to a more manageable size, that is what i do

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I am not sure about cutting it up but when I need to drill lead I freeze it first. Then you can drill it. You might take an Axe and chop it up. Good luck..

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I use either a hammer to hit an ax layed on the lead, or a hacksaw, or a BIG pan!!! old metal coffee cans work great!!!

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks guys----i dont have a pot that big,:sad2: i tried using an axe,:confused2: and i don't know about the hammer trick.:crazy: maybe someone will come up with something else. :wink:

7. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    We use a hammer and chisle, but I have thought of using a cutting torch to get it into manageable sizes.

don3778

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    If all else fails, maybe try a chainsaw? :wink: Took care of my old couch that wouldn't fit outside the door, the entertainment center, trees... yeah it does a lot of things LOL

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    billy you can cut it with your skill saw if you use a carbide blade and dont push read hard.better if you got a cut off saw but be sure and use a carbide blade.if you dont want to try that ill bring my furnace and a pot to melt it in and then pour it in my ingot molds for you when i go to litte river in a month or so.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thats what i do:cool2:

11. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you can use a cutting torch with a rosebud on it. just prop it up over your pot and melt however much you need in your pot. we done a 400lb lead weight that way.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you don't have a cutting torch, you can use a big cold chisel and a hammer to cut the lead into manageable size pieces. When I first started pouring my own sinkers (early 1950s--pre-teens), the only lead I had was a piece 12"x24" about 1 1/2" thick. I made sinkers and jigs for years out of that chunk of lead.

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    a hammer and a plumbers chisel will work

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i dont have access to a torch but the hammer and chisel might work. i'll have to give that a try. i have a hatchet that i tried but it would barely dent the chunk. maybe i can find a big thick pot somewhere to use to melt it. it weighs about 30 lbs so a thin pot might give way with molten lead in it. i'm gonna try my sawsall again this weekend. thanks for all the good tips.

15. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    go to a goodwill or something like that and get a big pot. then melt it down and put it in a cupcake pan. then you can make it as thik as you want

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks butch i like the cupcake pan idea-----nice size ingots that way. i'll check some secondhand stores this weekend

17. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    I talked to a machanist today, he said get a 4 or 5 tpi bimetal blade for your sawzall or a 10 tpi for a porta band.

18. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I use my 41/2" grinder with a Metabo blade on it. In case you do not Know what it is it is a real thin disk used fo cutting. Works pretty good but wear eye protection!

19. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    The lead bricks I have are 8" x 6" x 4" approximately. I know they weigh 26 pounds. I bought a torch that looks like a pistol from True Value for $17 that hooks into your propane tank. It has a trigger on it and a button that you can push so it burns without holding the triggr down...we call it the cruise control button. It will melt it fast into whatever pot/pan you have. We melt our bricks straight into a cast iron ladel I got from ebay for $8 and then pour it right in the mold. The torch comes in real handy for starting charcoal or campfires...works in seconds. I use it a lot more for other stuff than I thought I would, so I don't feel bad for paying $17 for it. I had to come up with something though cause these bricks are tough to deal with, but it does absolutely great for me. It will melt 14 oz of lead off the brick in less than 2 minutes after the brick gets hot.

Just in case you don't already know, once you start heating one side of the chunk, by the time the lead starts melting off one side, the other side will be too hot to touch with out welding gloves. Those chunks radiate heat from all directions. I learned the hard and blistering way!

20. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    take a torch and pliers and hold it over your latle and melt it into the latlewhen it gets full stop and thaat will work. thanks Sam Davis