Cutting Frozen Skipjack?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Now I have frozen Skipjack. But, how in the world do you cut it? I assume you let it thaw a bit before use? My frozen skips are as hard as a brick! You could use it as a club! :eek:oooh:

If you thaw, how long do you take it out of the freezer before use? And, what do you use to cut it? My preference would be to place it on a hook as frozen as it can be and still get a hook through it.

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Dennis i usually slice the sides off or just cut them up in chunks.If you are fishing for the big one the whole skip is good just kinda cut the tail so the blood bill attract the big one.Then the head is excellent for the big ones also.Some one else will help aso.
    It doesn't take long for them to thaw but you can just cut them as soon as you can slice them.I have used them fozen.
    Also i cut them with a old hickery knife just keep it sharp

good fishing

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Dennis I usually put the frozen bait (in vacummend sealed wrap) in my baitwell with luke warm water so by the time I get to the river/lake they are still frozen but not hard like a brick. I'll use a fillet knife to cut up.

BTW....that works in this cold weather too! Good luck.:wink:

4. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I would put them out the night before in the fridge, they should be about what you are looking for. I set some out Friday to fish with on Saturday. They were still somewhat frozen, yet easy to cut and still get a hook through. Left some in the cooler all day Sunday to use today and they still cut fine, though a little mushy.

5. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well ... ive done it a ton of differnt ways... i always thought cuting them while they are frozen the day befor and leave them in the bowl while they thaw all the blood moves out fo them to the bottom of the bowl... It looks great but if all the blood is on the out side when it hit the water it goes bye bye...

Now i keep them on ice the whole time still frozen and cut them in huge chunks ...

When it hits the water it thaws out slowly letting the blood out slowly ...:big_smile:

I will say the head do produce big ones but the pole with the head on it sits for alot longer then the others for some reason... Maybe th eyes scare them on something lol!.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree, I think I would prefer to keep them as frozen as possible and put them on the hook. But, will a filet knife cut through the frozen bait? Or, do you use a pair of shears or something? Maybe I'll need to get a more sturdier knife to cut the bait.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jonathan on this one. This is the way I have always done it. Works good for me.

8. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    You just can't beat a meat cleaver for cutting frozen bait.
    started useing one when I used to trap it served me well.
    You do not have to chop with it. It is heavy enough so you can push down and through. To me you have got to cut it when froze like the other folks said.