Cutting down a transom

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Blue Duck, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Anyone have any experience cutting down a 20'" transom to 15" to fit a short shaft motor? I have a 2006 short shaft 25 hp four stroke that I want to put on a 14 or 16 foot John boat. So far the only Johns I have found are for long shaft mortors. Just wondering how big a deal it would be to cut it down to fit?

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Cutting the transom is kind of drastic. Have you considered a jack plate? Sort of in reverse? Use it to lower the motor instead of raising it?

Somewhere on the board is a pic and a "how to" of a nifty, and cheap, little homemade jack plate that may just be the ticket for you.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    MIKE I WOULD CHANGE THE LOWER UNIT ON THE MOTOR BEFORE I WOULD THINK ABOUT CUTTING DOWN THE TANSOM ON YOUR BOAT ,BUT THAT'S JUST ME I LIKE ALL THE FREE BOARD I CAN GET ON A BOAT :wink:

4. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    hey mike i've done it couple times, i draw mine out w/ a sharpie &ruler after u measure, make sure you taper your cuts back up on each side of motor allow nuff room for motor to turn, i used a sawzall w/metal blade, it's slow cause of the wood sandwiched but it works, u will need to make a cap to cover that wood back up,i just bent some sheet alum and poprivit looked good, welded looks more factory

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A jack plate is the answer. Will work great, easier to do, does not change the appearance or value of your boat, when you decide to sell in future.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    if you go with a jackplate, I think that you may run into problems tilting the motor up,

the lower unit is NOT the only thing that needs to be changed, the whole mid section will also ned swaped out

If you are any good at stick welding get ya some of thoes alumanun rods and go for it
    be sure to leave the rear transom about 4" taller than the front part of the transom so that it can be folded forward over the top and then folded down over the front "inside" of the transom

ask skunkmaster here on the boc for some pics of the one I did. it was 27" cut to 20"

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  7. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mike

I would do a little more footwork I think. Finding a Jon with a 15 inch transom is pretty easy. All the major manufactures make units that motor will work on. Good luck and happy fishing

8. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Do not cut the transom down. Get an extension for your outboard, $300-$400 for the parts.