Cutting Curves?

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by CJ21, Jun 23, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    What do you woodworkers pefer a bandsaw or jigsaw for cutting curves? I was thinking about getting a 14'' bandsaw for curve cutting, but I think I might be off upgrading my Black & Decker Jigsaw to a Bosch!

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    If your cutting fairly thin material and don't do a lot of curves get the bosh and it will work great. I bought a 14" band-saw and wouldn't trade it for anything but the biggest asset for cutting curves is an osculating spindle sander. You can take a lot of material off in a hurry with a heavy grit sleeve. I cut a lot of table tops (round) and have a jig for cutting them that makes it super simple. Just a thought.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Charles, I personally like the Bosch sabersaw over my bandsaw as I have more control, but to others it may be easier with the bandsaw. Bosch is my favorite brand of tools anyway.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Get the bandsaw. There is all kinds of jigs you can make to enhance the capability of a bandsaw. I've even carved with a bandsaw.

Used to take regular 1 by board and cut different size ovals from a pattern and glue them up. Once dry you carve the duck out on the bandsaw from the basic shape. I was going by the pattern to actually make decoys. I made mine solid body and stained them back when "country" decor was cool.:lol:
    Works alot better on a large capacity saw though.

If your shop doesnt yet have a bandsaw and you can afford a decent one to get started with thats what I would get before I started replicating tools I already had.

Watch them fingers.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well my B&D Jigsaw wont curve real well. someone say it might be better to upgrade my Jigsaw while I save for a new table saw.