Cutting carp for bait? How do you cut your Carp?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Big B, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I was interested in finding out how some of you cut up your carp or buffalo for bait. I have been catching buffalo up to 20lbs. I want to cut some up for bait but I'm not sure which way is best. Filleted with or without skin, steaks ect. Definitely keep the heads for bait right. I want to catch big fish. But I don't know how big the blues are in this lake. My PB was caught in the place I want to try this bait. It was just over 40 inches. Had to be pushing 30lbs. I caught a 22lb 12oz in this spot 2 weeks a go. Also one flattie that weighed 5 lbs came out of this hole.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Fillet them and cut into strips 1 or 2 inch wide by 4 to 8 inchs long.
    Cut the skin off leaving just a little at one end to help hold the hook. Head and the rest of the fish could be ground into chum if wanted.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Generally filleted and cut into chunks.

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I also fillet big carp or buffalo and leave the skin on. I cut the fillets into strips about twice as long as wide, exact size depending on where I'm fishin'. If I'm on the TN River, I'll cut the head as small as possible and put that big ol' thing on a hook, too. (you never know, a monster could be down there). I sometimes freeze big carp and buffalo in garbage bags to use for bait in the winter (1 fish is usually enough bait for a trip).

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've never used cut carp, But I plan on it pretty soon.
    Seen a couple of guys earlier this year catching Huge Flatheads with it cut into strips, big chunks of carp.

May the Lord Bless the next time out, Kenny:wink:

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've had decent luck with cut carp. I like to scale and then fillet them, leaving the skin on. Cut them into chunks and fish on a 3/0 - 7/0 circle hook.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

I do it the same way Troy does.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I scale them then cut along the back on both sides in a v-shape. They bleed like a stuck hog and the fillet is bone-less and tough.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    amen this one!
    This is what i do with my buffs and carp. Be sure not to waste the "red" meat, that seems to put the most oils in the water

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I scale them and fillet them out and then cut them into cubes 2x2 inches or bigger hook them through the skin the stay on great that way I also bleed them out into the bucket and put the guts in there too then soak the cubes in that makes a good bloody peice of cut bait.