Cutting bream

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stinkbaitjunkie, May 9, 2006.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    What is the best way to cut these for eating size fish? I will use pond bream.

2. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    also would small cut crappie work good. I have a pond that is over populated and want to get rid of some. They are usuall about as long as a pencil.

3. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bream are on the boney side so I usually don't fillet them, scale'm clean them and cook them is what I do when I decide I wanna eat bream. as far as those little fingerling crappie I don't know you could get enough out of one to warrent fooling with'm but it's worth a try.....

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    LOL Tony. I think stinkbaitjunkie was talking about how to cut them for bait. When I use gills that I cut I will take the filet off each side as a bait and the head as bait. I usually discard the fileted carcass. If you wanted to get more bang for your buck though, You could simply cut off the head and use that as one bait and then steak the rest of the body in 1/4 to 1 inch increments and get a lot of bait out of a hand size gill. Vern

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Leave the fish alive bream, crappie whatever just cut the tail fin close to the scales but not completly off so the fish can still swim around lively for flatheads but it will still bleed which will attract blues and channels too.This is just if youre goin for moby sized fish.If you dont want to wait as long, cut it in chunks like vlparrish was talking about.The head will usually catch the biggest fish this is just my experience.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Cut the head off behind the gills, that is bait piece number one. For bigger fish this is the prime piece of bait. You can hook through they eyes, but this will become loose as they eyes are pecked out by small fish like perch. You can also hook them below the jaw and up through the nose.

Then cut the bream in 1/2 strips top to bottom, and that should give you 2-3 more pieces of bait depending on the size of bream you have. These pieces with the gut area work well for all size cats

That leaves the tail, and you can use them or throw them away. Some people like them, but I don't have too much luck with them.

Crappie work just as good if not better, and I usually have good success with fillets if they are fat little slabs.

7. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    Will it still work good if I freeze them to use at a later time?

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Froze bait never works as good as fresh not for big fish anyway.It gets soft and it dont put out the right odor.What kind of catfish are you fishing for.

9. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    right now all I want is eaters I want to have a fish fry in the next month.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U might be better off cooking them up and eating them.