Cutting Bluegill - How does everyone cut theres?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, May 19, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Just wondering, how do you all cut your bluegill?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    With a knife. LOL! Sorry! I start behind the gills and chunk it up accordingly.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    chunk it up with some big scissors perendicular to the back bone.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've posted this before but really believe it helps, I cut any bait fish I use right in half.... length ways. That way I get two head/gut/tail pieces all together and that way I don't have any big decisions to make on the water like, do I want to use the head half or the tail half.... I have the best of both halves all the time and no headache from making executive decisions.

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never considered that, seem to work just as good or do you get better results cutting it another way?

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am kinda like george on this one, LOL!!!

The head section has always been the most productive for me!

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hmmm, I figured you for the @$$ end, my mistake!:lol:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have heard that before, LOL!!!

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I was taught two variations:

Cut the tail off, then angle the head, scale, then filet, put in cold water, wash, bread, fry and EAT!

Scale, cut the tail off, then angle the head cut, filet and put in cold water, wash, bread, FRY!

If I remember correctly, if there was a female with eggs, then the boys fought over those. Usually the females were released, but if they got in accidentally, then this was the boys favorite to argue over. Go figure...........

:crazy:

P.S. Anyone here eat squirrel brains????? What a conversation and eating stopper, especially for certain people. :embarrassed_2:

10. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I butterfly bluegill... slide filet knife through body top to bottom and filet backwards to tail. Repeat on other side, cut & remove remove spine. You end up with bluegill head with two filets still attached (like a butterfly).

And my Mom always used to yell at me if I cleaned a mess of squirrels and didn't save her the brains!

11. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ME and my buddies cut just the tail off right before the belly so all the juices come out

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Seems we have two threads here, using 'gills for bait, and cleaning 'gills for eating. I prefer them large enough to eat, cut the head off diagonally to get the belly bones out and make it easy to gut, and scale with a spoon. Then, dip in seasoned cornmeal, drop in a pot of hot oil, and wait for them to float to the top. Then, I pig out.

I've eaten squirrel brains. My momma used to on purpose run over squirrels in the street, trying to hit the body in order to get the brains.

13. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I cut off the head and use the head. After that I will cut it down the backbone and up the belly.

14. kittygitter

kittygitter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    see with me it depends on the size of the fish and what type of cat your fishing for.
    -For blues and channel and the brim/blue gill is smaller than my hand i poke holes in the gut area to get those jucies a flowen and what not. Then i hook it (now some times i put slices all down the tail of the fish as well) and throw her out there.
    -if its a bigger fish i will cut it into 1/4 or more depending on the size and some times if the fishis rally small i will cut it open just alittle angain near the gut place and put stink bait in side of it then poke tiny little holes where the bait can lead out. pretty potent stuff
    -now for flatheads i take a hand size or smaller sometimes bigger (bigger bait bigger fish (sometimes)) and they need to be fresh like alive and i well this is kinda mean but throw it against a rock concrete or something of the matter to kinda "render it uncounsious) and put her out there whith the big cats usually in tail waters though.
    - theres more than one way to skin a cat or in our case cut some cutbait but i think you need to play with some of the suggestions and come up with some of your own and what not. I just use what works for me in my area
    later ya'll:amazed: