Cutting bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beakus, Nov 17, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    whats the best way to cut bait(like that big carp).do you cut it up and freeze it or is it best fresh and is it the same for shad?i have never used carp but i read about a lot of people useing it.

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother John;
    I'm kind of new at this subject too but I do know that going with FRESH bait seems to work best especially if your going after the "BIGGUN'S".
    It depends on the size of the shad/herring/bluegill/ect, how you cut them up and the best one I know of to tell you is one of our members by the nick of "Deerhunter" Matter of fact, I "think" one of his videos shows how to cut shad!
    As for the Carp, I've not done it, seen it done, or been showed how to do it so I will leave that part of your question to those that have much more experience than I do!:smile2: Another person I know that can help you is "Whistler".
    Be patient, those that are better than me will find your question and give you much better, and more informative, answers than I can. Sometimes it takes a few days for everyone to see your question is all. One thing for sure; you WILL be getting the BEST information there is to be gotten in the world on this website!
    Hope this helps a little. :embarassed:
    Fraternally,:smile2:
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

3. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Well there is different ways to cut bait you can fillet it or just cut the head off ( which is what I like to use ) and just cut it up in chunks according to the size of hooks you are using. And this will work with ant bait wetherit is carp ,shad ,bluegill ,etc. I hope this will help you on your quest for the big one

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is how I prepare carp for cut bait.

1. Catch the carp
    2. Scale it - those armor plates are hard to put a hook through and the skin itself is exposed and has become more aeromatic by scaling it.
    3. Fillet it just like any other fish - you don't have to remove the rib cage, catfish can munch it just fine.
    4. Cut strips of the fillets according to the size of fish you want to catch and take into consideration the size of hook you will be using. You can use a fillet knife, but I prefer to use scissors to cut the strips. For channels, I cut them about 1/2 - 1 inches wide and about 2 inches long in a slight wedge shape.
    5. Take each strip and pre-cut a (just a stab) hole in one end of the strip for the hook. This is easier done before hand than it is while on the water, it is less messy, saves time, and keeps the cut bait from getting smashed while trying to poke a hook through the very tough carp's skin.
    6. for immediate use ( or for the next day ) put in an air tight container in the refridgerator. For future use, place prepared strips in a baggie with water and squeeze out as much air as you can, or put the bait in a plastic container with enough water to completely surround all of the meat. This will eliminate freezer burn - cat fish like their cut bait to be as fresh as possible. Do not rinse off the bait before putting it in the container - the more carp blood in the mix the better.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got lost between steps 1 and 3... when I fillet a fish, the scales come off with the skin... have I been doing something wrong all these years..?:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    When someone asks me what I think, I tell them: "I think all of the meat around a pig's a** is pork." (Tim Early)

6. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Very accurate post about how to cut the carp, my thoughts exactly.

The only problem with soft-meat fish like carp, buffalo and hickory shad is the meat becomes very soft after freezing. Sometimes it will even seperate from the skin all together while you are putting it on the hook.

Thanks for he useful post.

~Nathan:tounge_out:

7. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri

8. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cutt blue gills right behind the gills and shad I cutt right behind the butt hole.

9. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Carp I cut the side's off and cutt then into chunk's....

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I scale them and then fillet them put there guts and any blood you can get outa them in to a bucket and cube up the fillets and stir. I put a little ice on them in the summer, they soak up the fresh blood and havin the skin on there keeps the bait on your hook, sometimes too well,

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ido my carp like cathound except i cut into square chinks then i place in a jar wth a loose fitting lid sit on the roof for about 3-6 hrs to get it real smelly then use before it gets real rotton