Cuts of Deer meat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Chris, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    A guy that I work with, got a deer today, after he got done cleaning it, he gave me a hinded quarter and a front shoulder. What kind of meat cuts can I process with these parts?

Thanks
    Chris

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Roast, back is round and front is chuck.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, you can slice the top of that hindquarter for round or cubed steak, too, if you like. If you like, I have a couple of pretty good recipes for the roasts. I know you like to BBQ, and if you put the shoulder or bottom round into a baking bag, along with onions, potatoes, etc as you prefer, then add a pint or so of your favorite (thin, preferably vinegar based, mild) sauce. Seal per instructions, pop into oven @ 225 for 3-4 hours, and it will be falling apart tender.

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    or you could make jerky! ;)

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    The hinds are good for steaks, Roasts, or just about anything.

-Brian

6. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I thought there was just one cut of deer meat.....T-0-U-G-H!!

here we go....lol

egg

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lol@egger.

they told you rite,chris. get some nice steaks off the hind. the front is tender but small mucles dominate that part so it usually gets chunked for stew on my table. you can get some nice jerky strips from there also.
    if you can get or have a vacume packer it's the only way to go. started useing a packer last year. me and hoosierpolcat did four deer with it, and it cut time by 75%. one deer takes about 4 hours to trim n pack with it.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back and hindquarters--steaks and roasts. You can BBQ the front quarter, but it's going to be tough; better to cut the ribs out without deboning them and BBQ them. Once you have all your 'scrap' meat from deboning the front quareters, lower hindquarters, neck, etc., cut the best into chunks for stew or chili; grind the rest into hamburger. You need to add about 1 part beef suet to every 3 parts of venison to keep the venison burger from being too dry.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'm with Jerry on this one. I generally don't add any fat to my grind though, we use deer buger for chili, spagetti, and other dishes that ask for hamburger.........prefer to add my own cooking oil. I have ground in 1 pound of the fattiest bacon you can find with 5 pounds of deer meat, makes the most awesome bacon buger around(best to double grind).

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Depending on size is how I would deal with it. Roast the front or smoke on pit. The slower and longer it cooks staying moist, it will be tender. I also like slow chicken frying. Not to slow as to soak up grease.

Mostly I make Jerky out of it.
    I have a hand grinder that I use too make deer sausage. I always picked up some cheap sausage from store, something that taste good, add a few of my own spice's and I mixed 1/3 to 2/3 deer meat, sometimes 1/2 and 1/2 depending on store sausage. Been a few years since I did up a deer.
    Back strap, I fried up are made roast out of it, maybe grilled a few pieces.
    The last deer I got I just made Jerky out of the whole thing except one side of back strap. We love that deer Jerky.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Chris If you lived close to me the best advice I could give ya. Give it to me. LOL. :D

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Thanks for all the advice, I am going to put our food saver to the test! We just purchased about a month ago, we havent sucked too much meat down with the food saver.

thanks
    chris

13. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Im not much on the steaks or roasts. I eat the backstraps and the inside loins. The rest goes to the processor. I get mine ground into burger w/beef fat added, and then some made into sausage. Deer burgers are really good.

14. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sausage and jerky out of the shoulder, or you can put in smoker uncovered for 30mins, then cover with foil and leave untill desired doneness. Usually cut hinds into roasts and smaller left over pieces I marinade in beer and seasoned salt for 30mins, flour and black pepper, brown and add cream of mushroom soup, let simmer till fork tender, pour over biscuits,toast, or mashed potatos. WHOO_WEE! :D

15. RedEye_Allen

RedEye_Allen New Member

State:
    Red Bank , South Carolina
    Make some Jerky out of it . .. if you don't lke it Use it to go Catfishing with it. . . The Cats love it . . Expecially with Garlic Salt Dried in

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    For all of my deer steaks I pound them down with a metal meat tenderized hammer. Flour and season them and I like to fry them in butter,some times I will add some tobasco to the butter also. Don't over cook deer, cook to med. rare or at least some pink still in the middle. You can cut mine with a fork.

18. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Now come on jeremy, I heard you Illini go out in the woods for days on end, then ya come in and eat up almost anything laid out for ya'll....?????

egg

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hehehe. not me. i do all the cooking around here. every one in the tss thread knows that. come up. im making jerky today. like 8#of it. lol. might be to hot for the city folks and card fans though. :D :p

20. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Put the shoulder roast in a slow cooker. Cut it so it is flat then put a layer of sliced onion and on top of that a small pork roast. Then pour a can of coke in and spice to taste. Add potatoes and carrots and cook 5-8 hours.