Cutbait ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Bullseye017, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I go channel catfishing I usually use chicken liver spleen and shrimp, but I have been reading a lot about cutbait and stuff and I think im going to try it. the other day i went to a spillway near my house and snagged a couple shad. I think shad should work fine but i was wondering what kind of fish you guys like to use for your cutbait.

2. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i usually use fresh shad, but i used to get frozen anchovies from the store.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From what I have observed on here in the past 5 years, the top cut baits are:

Shad
    Skipjack
    Bluegills
    River Eels
    Mackeral

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Shad work great as cut bait. I like creek chubs also. Mainly what you want in cut bait is an oily fish.

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Shad baby. Myself and TA2D started using it regularly last year, and our volume of catches shot through the roof.

We also use cut Bluegills/Chubs/Carp

SudDawg

6. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    bluegills all the way:big_smile:

7. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Actually now that I think about it more, we only use cut shad on the river. Or basically any body of water that we know shad is in. Many of the other places we use cut bluegills/green sunfish.

SudDawg

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    It is hard to beat cut shad and skipjack. Also try shad guts, works for me.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Shad is great. It's always good to "match the hatch" Use the bait that the fishing are eating naturally.

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    cut shad is the best for . on the ohio river

11. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I usually use bluegill as cutbait around here and it works purty good

12. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try using shad gizzards if ya can get em

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've pretty much stuck with creek chubs, shad, and bluegills. But many other fish like suckers, carp, drum, mackeral, and anchoves should work too.

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i use whole 3-5 inch shad.works for me.but my biggest channel this year is onley 5 pounds.

15. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I use any size shad I net with the cast net, the bigger ones I just chunk up, and the smaller ones go on whole. I also fish for skipjack when they are hitting my jigs, and either chunk them up or fillet them.

16. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I caught a 4lb and 6lb channel yesterday morning at sunrise. I used bluegill heads. I've caught more channels on bluegill than shad.

This was at a lake and 6 or 7 ft deep.

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    All of the fish other than cats I use for cut bait, mostly bluegill. I cut them up and then soak them in Cod Liver Oil and have been doing better than ever since using the oil. I have been using the heads and the sides cut into about 1" squares. Was using the whole side piece but wasn't having as good of luck. I haven't been catching hogs but hey catching a few smaller, around 3-5lbs, with the majority just a little over 5. This wasn't one of my brainstorms, I read it on another post somewhere on the BOC, but I am truly hooked on it.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Finally broke down and bought me a cast net. That's $15 well spent considering how much bait, even shrimp and liver, can cost over time, and I don't have to keep the stuff in the freezer or refrigerator, the wife loves it. Only got the 3.5 footer, but it gives me as much bait as I need. Since I fish from a kayak, I usually just cast at the launch site. At one place, its nothing but shad, sometimes a tilapia or drum. But, the place I've been launching lately, I get almost nothing but bluegill, mostly 1/2 to 3" long. Been using those, both live and cut. The bigger cats seem to prefer the live gill, the smaller ones take anyting. Took a 4 and 5 pounder this week, same day, plus six good eater size.