Cutbait-How long can it stay on the hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by skipper1, Apr 1, 2007.

1. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    does it matter how long it stays on hook or will I need to change it every couple hours. and whats best part of fish for channels

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats a good question Steve. I usually change mine every two hrs or so if im fishing in current. If im fishing in a lake i might leave it on a little longer. A lot of times if i cant smell it any longer ill change it no matter how long its been. Ive personally had better luck using the head for channels, but the gut sack works well to.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i change it bout every 30 mins or so by then the blood and alot of the scent is gone if i am drifting or in moving water maybe 15 to 20 min.

4. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I normally dont sit in a spot more than 2 hrs unless it is a proven spot and I know that the area has fish.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I agree with splitshot, I will change it if I can't smell it any longer. Or, if it gets too soft.

6. Mudcatrick

Mudcatrick New Member

State:
    LA
    what kind of bait were you using, that has tobe chnged so quick

7. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    it doesnt have to be changed. I just like to keep it real fresh I use live herring or gizzard shad and cut it before i use it so it bleeds out fairly quick.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You've got too much patience if you can sit in one place for 2 hours without a bite. Nevermind whether you should put fresh cut bait on or not.

If the fish aren't biting after 20 or 30 minutes, you're in the wrong place....

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    On the money Bro,

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If I'm set up and catching fish I will let it out maybe 30 mins to one hour . I do put fresh bait on at every new hole.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i rebait every half hour. some of my buddies rebait every 15 minutes. since i started experimenting with adding suff to cutbait, it hasn't sat for a half hour though.
    something to look at is the river or lake thing. lakes have current, but not as strong as a river, of course. the river will drain a bait of its fish attracting element much quicker.