Cutbait Duration

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigOleW9, Jun 1, 2006.

1. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When fishing for big channel cats, how long do you guys leave cutbait in the water without putting on a fresh piece?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Appx 20 minutes for me.

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I dont use cut bait to often. What i like to do is step on em get the guts hanging out and let them sit out in the water and eventually a channel will hit it . Works about 90 percent of the time.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Really good question. I usually go about an hour, but I've kinda been wondering if that was about right.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Really good question! It depends on what the bait is. fished with cut eel last week for the first time and it seemed to hold up real well! Caught 4 or more fish on the same piece. Shad or bunker doesn't seem to hold up as good or as long and many times a cat hits it with in 10 - 15 mins if the fish are there and in feed mode.

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    15 to 20 minutes for me. As soon as I think the oil has disipated from the bait a fresh piece goes on.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd say 20 minutes max. I've also noticed that if there is some gut inside it fish tend to hit it better. If I get a bite that I don't hook up on I often find the guts missing and it doesnt seem to be as attractive to the ol' channels anymore.

8. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Right on!

15 minutes or until gut/blood is washed or smacked out of it from a hit. I should say this applies to shad which is what I use about 90% of the time. When using whole fresh killed distressed chubs I will go up to 1/2 hour.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah id have to agree with twenty minutes but if you rebaited twice and didnt get a hit id think its time to move

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If I have plenty of bait I will change baits every 15 minutes But when fresh bait is hard to come by I may catch 3 or 4 fish with the same bait. 777

11. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    20 to 30 minutes

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    15 to 30 min. is what I do depends on the current