Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Flatheads have loved every cut bait I've ever used. But I've found that they are more likely to strike at something that is found in thier environment. So, if you are fishing where there are no carp, using carp as cut bait, they may not be as likely to go for it.

What I do is baitfish in the same body of water that I am going to be catfishing in.

Finally, a good use for carp!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cut carp is one of the best baits for channel catfish. All you need to do is, scale and fillet it. Leave that skin on. The skin is tough as leather. You can cast a fresh piece as hard as you can, and it will not come off. Great bait!

·
Registered
77 Posts
As very well stated already, if carp are native to the body of water you are fishing, then it is one of BEST baits for channels; flatties...not so much. But surely worth a try, you will not be disappointed.

I agree with scaling first then filleting, I have caught numerous fish on one strip before literally having to tear it off the hook.

Larry

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like to use whole carp but its tough to catch a small one around a foot long do guys think cut into strips works just as good for flat heads?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I like to use whole carp but its tough to catch a small one around a foot long do guys think cut into strips works just as good for flat heads?
In my river, you can't see a foot into the water. In a tailrace how do they know if it is live or memorex.... er cut?

Upshot is They use all senses the biggest being taste/smell with taste buds all over their body. I like cut bait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.