Cut trout?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by lnghr22, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    has any1 ever tried to use cut trout for big blues, i would think it would work but i dont know?

2. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    I've never tried trout as bait, I use bluegill and sucker. They work well. If you do use trout, please let us know how well it worked.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

if trout are natural are stocked into the water you fish then use them. If not take some with you and try them out along with your other bait choice(s). The fish will let you know if they want to eat it. If you do try it I would use at least a couple of times if you don't have success the first time before I gave it up.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Be careful, trout are gamefish and in most states, its illegal to use them. Sure don't want to be caught with undesize trout if there is a length limit in your state.

5. RRaider

RRaider Guest

lnghr22, It is absolutely illegal to use trout as bait in texas.

6. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas

It is the same way in Arkansas. They caught some guys using them to catch stripers here a couple of years ago. I think they hung them.:eek:oooh:

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    cant use them in cali either.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If they were big enough they would be in the skillet. As far as I know they are illegal to use as bait, they are a game fish.

9. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    People use them here in east TN for strpier bait but they must be bought from a trout farm. They will print you out a reciept and sign it.

10. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    That might be OK. But in Arkansas it's a real no-no.

11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    I want to think its legal in kentucky as long as the fish was of legal size and caught with a trout stamp . But i wouldnt swear to it just seem to remember reading a posting on another site from a game warder about a similar question.But i do know for a fact that blues will hit scraps from the cleaning of trout such as heads.