Cut sucker for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by EasternWAcatfan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    I live in the northwest and we don't have the shad and other fish i hear people talking about to use as cutbait. I do however catch a sucker once in awhile dunking worms, would it make good cutbait?

I have not caught a single catfish since moving to washington and am tired of all the small fish stealing the worms when i go catfishing.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cut suckers make for very good bait, my 2nd choice behind cut shad.

3. EasternWAcatfan

State:
    Washington
    Allright then i think i am going fishing tonight! Thanks for the help one more thing how big of chunk should i use and what size hook? I don't think there is alot of big cats here but there is always a chance of hooking into a big sturgeon on the river i fish.

4. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Everything that swims eats suckers, including cats. Cut suckers are a great way to catch channels and flatheads seem to like it too. As for the size of the bait, it depends on how big of a fish you want to catch. A little 1" x 1" piece will catch everything from little to big cats so if quantity is what you are after that's the route I'd go. If you want a big cat, just cut the tail off from the anal opening back, poke a few holes in the guts and stick that baby on a 7/0 or bigger hook; depending on how big the actual sucker is.

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Just about any fish can be used for cutbait...as long as it's legal. I've personally used Bluegills, Crappie, Yellow Perch, White Perch, Shad, Carp, Bullhead Cats...the list goes on.

As for size, follow PABowhunter4life's advice.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

6. EasternWAcatfan

State:
    Washington
    Well i went out fishing last nite, cut some sucker into about 1 1/2 square pieces and stuck it on a 4/0 hook. No catfish as usual but did catch a 8 inch bullhead and a crawfish. I couldn't believe such a small fish could take that bait and big hook. I am not giving up though i know people catch catfish here just got to keep looking for a more productive place.

I really appreciate the help guys!

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i agree

8. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    I to live in the northwest and have been trying to use cut suckers. PABowhunter4life if I catch a sucker about 9 or 10" and I want to fish with the whole sucker like you were talking about. How do you hook the fish??Just through the mouth or on top above their fin?? Thanks

9. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Around my neck of the woods, cut sucker is my favorite bait. I just cut it into one inch sections from back down through the bottom and use a 5/0 kahle or an 8/0 cirlcle, even cats smaller than a lb seem to have no problem getting hooked.

10. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    next time your out if you catch something, use the gut piles. Stick it in a net and tie it to your hook. Watch that pole.

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yessir very good cutbait indeed, throw em on live and you can find some big flatties too!!! good luck bro

12. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Suckers are great for cut or live bait, keep tossin' 'em out there.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Suckers are almost always great bait for me, good luck!

14. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Sorry for the delayed response my friend. If you plan to use it as a cut bait then the location of the hook isn't really important IMO. I have had suckers die on me while lunge fishing that I simply chopped the tail off of, poked holes in the stomach and immediately chucked back out for cats. Sometimes I just stuck the hook through the head, sometimes beneath the dorsal fin and others almost directly through the guts. As I said, IMO, hook location is not a big deal with cut baits because the fish is going to suck the whole bait in regardless. Just make sure you leave plenty of point exposed and hope that there's a beast in the water near you. FYI, I have done this with suckers up to 12" or so.

If you plan to fish the sucker alive then I would personally hook it below the dorsal fin or through the tail because these 2 ways seem to give the sucker the most action. When hooked through their lips I have found that they seem to just lay on the bottom and not move very much at all.

As a disclaimer, I am no pro lol, these are just my opinions.