Cut shiners or cut bluegill, which is better

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by daredevle, Sep 22, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey brothers i was thinking what is better cut bait bluegill or shiner i would use shad but there is none where i fish in a pond i always use blugill for channel there some big ones there i bet at the least 22 ponds i caught one 12 pounds but the rest i lost and the more gills i use it kills the population its a small pond so i was thinkin of buying shiners cutting them and so on and so forth BTW can some one show me a picture of a shiner so iknow what im dealing with thanks alot:wink:

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Both sound good. Fresh meat is the key. :wink:

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You would probably have to fish constantly to use enough bluegill to hurt the population of even a small pond. At least in my area, most bluegill ponds are hurt more by overpopulation rather than over harvesting. Since you will probably be using the smaller ones, you will actually probably help the health of the pond.(IMHO)

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Gills has always been easier for me to catch so that is what I use if I am not using shad. Either way, both are fish and great bait.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    yeppa is rite you wont hurt the population of a pond by catching gills for bait.if i was gonna use shinners for bait i would just leave my bait in a bucket alive and cut the tail off when i put it on the hook.

6. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Try using cut Salmon from a fresh filet out of the grocery. I use it quite often and have had good results. Good luck.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id go with the bluegills myself,i normally just use the head.And i wouldnt worry about hurting the population of bluegills.There like roaches you can never get rid of them,they can actually overrun a pond if your not careful.