Cut Shad

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fire-Man, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK---I am new to Catfishing, so how do you "Cut" your Shad. In Half? Across the back bone? Do you have a special way to put it on the Hook? Do some of you buy your shad from the fish market? Thanks Randy

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

there are some examples in the library. I like to butterfly cut mine, this is in the library. i also like to cut the tail off and put the hook from that cut through the shad and out of the eye. Both work for me.

3. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I cut mine very similar to laidback, but any number of ways will work as long as you get the blood and oils flowing into the water and remember this is important keep your bait fresh change it every 20-30 min's to keep the oils slick around your bait

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    depending on the size of fish youre chasing should be the size of cutbait you use.give them a variety.use the head on one hook,middle section on another and maybe a tail or a fillet off a side if the shad are big enough.dont be afraid to throw a whole one at them either

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks!!!!!!!! I didn't know about the "Library" Alot of Good info on there. Randy

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I just chop mine up into chuncks and put the hook un under the backbone.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    best way i've found to cut up shad is to fillet the side like you were going to eat it then cut that up into smaller pieces

I've tried the chunking and large bits but nothing seems to work quite as well as the smaller pieces.........

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i always use the head on one pole and the middle on another. i usually throw the tail section away. sometimes, i cut the tail section into small pieces and use it for bluegills and smaller fish.

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i always cut mine in half run your hook through the eyes or behind the back fine hope it helps

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the BOC Randy... I just like to use mine whole..... As long as its freash i use it whole..... if it aint freash i just dont use it

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Can't always get big shad, sometimes the biggest in my castnet are all under three inches. The smaller shad, I don't bother to cut up, just cut slits in the belly, maybe use two or three on the hook.

12. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    If it's unfer 4 inches I just use it whole, but I chew on it a little first. Nah, just kidding but I do smash it between my fingers to get the juices flowing.

If it's bigger I fillet it, use the fillets then the head. That's going after eaters, though. For bigger fish I'd use bigger shad and probably whole or most.

I think fresh is the way to go for you. Buy a castnet (if you don't have one) and find out where to catch them.

13. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i cut the big ones 3 ways but preffer whole. ggod luck