Cut shad/herring - how long does it last?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Klag, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tonight I used cut blueback herring (very similar to shad) for the first time. The fish were dead 5 minutes after I got to my fishing spot - which was fine because they were for cut bait anyway. Well, for the first 45 minutes - the channels were biting like crazy. Every 10 minutes another bite.

Well, after 45 minutes - the bite stopped. I was just wondering if this was because my herrings were "not fresh" anymore? They were only dead for an hour or so.

Is it best to keep them alive until right before I'm going to use them? Or is it okay for them to be dead for a few hours? And, do I just leave them in the bucket of water or should I take them out of the water after they die.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    I don't think that they were dead too long. The fish just stopped feeding or moved. I keep fresh dead shad in a bucket of water,don't know if that is the best way to keep them. someone else with more shad knowledge will be posting soon.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You should have been fine, Catman's right, that's still pretty fresh. I sometimes catch my shad the night before I'm going fishing and keep them in a ziplock in the fridge (not the wife's favorite thing for me to do...) till I'm ready to go. Also, if you keep them on ice they'll keep for a day or two. I'd rather have them still gilling when I cut them because I like the way they bleed, but I don't know that it makes a huge difference. I usually try to get mine cold ASAP, though, and put them in a bag or a plastic box in my cooler so they're not floating around in water. Keeping them cold will also keep them from getting mushy on you. I just caught a 43# blue on shad that had ben in the cooler on ice for 36 hours. Good Luck!

Branden

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Branden, Thanks for the info bro!!!

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    No problem. Most important thing is to keep them cold and out of the water. If you think about it, leaving them floating around in the water in your cooler or live well is kind of like leaving them on the hook in the water for a real long time. I'll usually change bait every 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how warm the water is and how impatient I am (and how much bait I have:wink:) Depends on what you're fishing for, too. Channels seem to hit bait that is kind of spoiled a lot better than blues or flatheads.