Cut Shad for Flatheads..... A FLOP!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MrFlathead, May 11, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Well I went out this weekend to try a new method for flatheads. In Maryland where I go, Conowingo Dam, a hydroelectric power station that opens the gates at 0730 till usually around 2300 depending on power needs and the amount of water above the dam. I use a 12" surf rod with 20# test line on it, a 2 oz trolling sinker and jigs to snag fish in the mouth 100-200 yards out basically. I catch tons of flatheads up to 37# so far, walleye, big stripers 20# range and lots of perch and shad. There is just something about still fishing that I have been missing though and I thought I would give cut shad a try for flatheads after slikk03, my cousin told me that he has heard that spring time flatheads seem to like cut baits. I am here to say that I think that rumor may be just that because I caught nothing but channel after channel and stripers inbetween. Im not saying that flatheads wont bite it and maybe they didnt have a chance to get to it before the channels but I am not thinking I am going to do that again for flatheads. Dont get me wrong I caught SOOOO many channels and stripers which was fun but I was there for the big ones. If anyone is from Maryland or Pennsylevania I do suggest going to Conowingo for channels because no lie i was there from 1600 friday till 1400 Saturday with the dam closed hours moving downstreem to a crick that flows into the Susquehanna, I caught atleast 50 good channels ranging from the 2# to the 15# range and SEVERAL big stripers on cut gizzard shad. Most of the stripers were in the crick. Also before I go let me tell ya'll about Maryland DNR, they consider flathead catfish to be an invasive species and advise fishers to not return them into the water. I have seen striper fisherman cut the gills of flatheads and return them to die, that pisses me off and I keep every flathead I catch to eat it, I only return channels because they are not in danger of the retards. Happy fishing all and if anyone needs tips on Conowingo dam catfishing I am here to help. Please forgive speeling errors, hopefully it is better than my cousins LOL!!!

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Welcome to east coast where the almighty trout, bass, and striper remain king supreme!

Are you fishing in the Fisherman's Park? Conowingo Dam is a great place to catch ANYTHING!

3. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Yeah mostly the park but I roam around a little bit on the other side in the creeks and have alot of luck there to.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you are catching channels then u need to move!! if there was a trophy size flathead in the area those channels would be long gone or lunch!!! the cutbait for spring flatheads isnt a myth it works but the bait MUST be fresh!! .. the water temps here are starting to get warm enough that i would prefer live bait anyway..

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i agree with adam.. last weekend i caught a 27lb flathead on cut shad, weirdest part about it was bout an hour later in the same hole i caught a 13lb blue on live bluegill.. just from my experiences in the past, that seems to be backwards.. i usually catch the blues on cut bait, and flatheads on live.. musta just been a really hungry flathead.. it hammered the bait while i still had the rod in my hand.. just as soon as it hit the water.. who knows, may have thought it was live.. made a splash then started to sink, i can see why a flathead may have thought it was just an injured shad..

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've caught 4 Flathead in the last month on small chunks of Skipjack which is a close relative to Shad and caught em on cut Bluegill as well. from what I've found, smaller size cuts and the fresher the better are the ticket.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m usually a live bait man myself.I wouldn,t get turned off of cut bait from 1 experience though,I agree with the others,even though it goes against my thinking,I,ve had times when deadbait has outfished livebait 3 to 1.If I,m catshing a ton of channels,it,s usually telling me I,m in the wrong spot for flatties.IMO:tounge_out:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You originally said striper guys cut the gills from a flathead and threw them back.:crazy: Anybody that does that ought to be monkey stomped. As far as flatheads, i've always caught more on live bait. Preferably black perch.

9. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i've caught flats on live and cut bait but when using cut i find that taking a big gizard shad that is still alive and cutting him works better as he bleeds more and leaves a better scent trail there is a time and place for each bait to work thats why its always a good idea to keep 1 rod with live and 1 rod with cut ya never know what that next record is goin to be caught on till he's caught

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use fresh cut sahd for flatheads year round, it works and outfishes live bait for me.

Last year I caught 3 flats over 40-lbs with the biggest being 55-lbs all on cut shad and in the summer time.

Really any cut bait "for me" out preforms live bait...So much in fact that I wont even cast out live bait anymore..If my bait is live I cut it up before using.

I know I am not normal...LOL

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If its fresh kill they will chomp it. Catch alot every year on cutbait. Fav tactic when I can get away with it is a fresh cut strip on a jighead fished around riprap and dikes just like bass fishen a jig just a lil slower. My pb flatt came on a small chunk of skipjack fishen for lil blues lol.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if your after daytime flatheads cut blugill with blood, in deep structer is the best tactic, wen night hits shalower fish around structer or inbetwen ranges, with big livelybaits, , and get them off the bottem, thats the flathead trick get them sobs up, or your going down, thats why i like 50 braid and thicker heavy rods, that still have a sesative tip, them berkly glowstiks woike rk good, them ten footers, but id like a safari rod for blues, , and daytime flatheads, but, if there agresive my clicer always pulls steady, but lakes and rivers take diferant tactics,,remeber a flat doesent want to hunt, hes an anbusher, unlike blues or chanels, but they will move around at night, but not alot, target close to structer, dropoffs, trees , sandbars inbetwen structer, just find it and youl find them,

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I just caught over 300 the other day. Planning onmaking flathead bait out of most of them.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    are you hearing this zack, they are right, your just in a bad spot, move to slaker water ask around, to find them maby you got alot of smaller rivers, use three polls one with cut and alternat the third every hour,