Cut or live bullheads?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by coolbig2, Dec 31, 2005.

1. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I have just recently found out this past year (2005) that I have bullheads in my lake. While it seems I should have known this already seeing as I've lived on this lake all my life (16 years) and fished it since I could hold a rod. Now that I have some decent bait, should I use them as cut or whole bait? I have no flatheads (it would appear, but seeing as I just found out about these, who knows?). Its blues and channels, and I havent caught a blue in a couple years. Actually, I havent been catfishing on the lake in a couple years, carp have sparked my intrest. But, one of my new year's resolutions is to get back into the swing of things and start targeting the big ole' cats down at the dam. Im pretty sure we have some damned big cats in there because nobody targets them, sept me, and I havent fished for them in years. Ive heard many a story of divers checking out the dam and not wanting to go back down, because of the giant catfish. This information has been given to me by 2 friends, and one of their cousins from north carolina, who I have never even seen before. So, back on topic. Should I use whole (live) or cut bullheads to try and catch the blues, channels, and to test the waters (so to speak) to see if I have and flatheads here? :confused:

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    After many years of using bullhead as flathead bait, I have found that when you bait up with live bullhead...with rare exception....the fish you'll be catching are flathead. Perhaps thats just the fish here in Kansas, but I can vouch for it. Cut bullhead...like any other cutbait would work for channel and blues. I have caught flathead on fresh cut perch and shad, but have never tried cut bullhead. I only keep the little bitty bullheads...the 3" and smaller variety. Bullhead are easy to keep alive...they're a hardy fish that's difficult to kill. Most times they don't even need an aereator. They stay lively on the hook for a LONG time too. Which makes them great candidates for limb and trot lines.

3. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    No question about it, LIVE! Bullheads are the best big flathead bait around. IMHO I have used perch, shad, carp, crappie, shiners and goldfish. The bullheads will outdo them everytime. I wish I had a lake full of bull heads. :crying:

4. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I dont have any flatheads though :crying: Im guessing I should just fillet them and use cubes or somthing to catch the channels and blues.

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Try seining, cast netting, trapping, or hook and lining a mess of creek chubs, little bitty perch, or shiners to use for your channel and/or blues. I have great success using minnows and chubs that I catch in my traps when fishing for channel, blues, and flathead alike. Can't hardly beat liver either...the flats don't hit it...but the other catfish sure do.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

7. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I think some of us are missing one important point, I dont have any flatheads in the lake. Its blues and channels for cats. There are other species, but no flatheads.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Jake,

If thier are no flats then whats the point of using the bullhead. I don't think either blues or Flats eat bullhead. But if you must try cut. Neither will go after a bait of that size!

Josh

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I think what we're trying to say is that bullhead is primarily a flathead bait. I have used bullhead for 25 years...and I can count on three fingers the amount of other species I have caught on them. All three were large channel over 18-20 lb. I have heard of blues being caught on bullhead...but the results are similar...they're just not the optimum bait for them either. If I were you...I'd concentrate on other baits for blues and channel. IMO...if you don't...you'll be in for a long and most likely fruitless wait.

Brian

10. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ive got time to experiment with baits. I couldn use live ones though anyways. I cant get the darn things small enough, they're all over 3lbs. I'm going to try bullhead fillets and little cubes of them, as well as some goldn shiner cutbait.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Try going to a muddy cow pond or a small creek...you should be able to get some smaller ones that way.