Cut Mackeral - Flathead Catfish Bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Tym2Fish, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Has anyone tried cut Mackeral for flats? I used to use this years ago and had good sucess with channels in the urban stocked lakes. I havent used it since my local bait store went out of business. I have found Mackeral at the grocery store but the entrails and all the good stuff have already been removed.

2. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    waterdog willy's on baseline and mcclintock has mackeral. that place is closing in june though.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    OK thanks, I really miss the little "Mom and Pop" shops.:crying: I guess the bigger sports stores are just putting them out of business. Guess I will have to stock up. You ever have any luck with Mackeral?

4. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've caught some decent channels on cut mackerel, but never a flathead. However, I did catch some flatheads last year on fresh, cut bluegills. If you catch some on cut mackerel, let us know.

5. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    ive never tried fishing for cats with mackeral, the closest "almost" or "was alive" live bait ive used was shrimp. and worms, i guess they are alive. but in june waterdog willy's goes out of business and they are having a HUGE sale on everything. thats when id stock up

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    towards the end of last summer i had started catching flatheads on cut bait. i was at pleasant lake fishing with cut carp and caught a 7, 8, and a 15 pound flathead. it also works great for big channels.

7. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I've always had good luck with Mackeral stinky but it produces.

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I can relate about the stinky part. The last time I used it I ended up having to wash my hands in cheap aftershave to remove the smell. Kevin, thanks for heads up on Waterdog Willies. I should have thought about using cut carp since I have read about using cut gills but it never dawned on me. I must be getting old and senile. I usually try for carp during my down time so this is on my list of "to try" as well.