Cut line before getting "spooled " ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, Jul 12, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you hook into a monster fish that runs and strips all the line , how tight do you go with the drag before reel damage occurs, if it's already set at 1/3 the line wieght ? Is it better to cut the line before all the line gets stripped off ? Are the drag washers damaged during a long run of line stripping common when you get spooled ? -Thanks

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    If you have the reel spooled within specifications (the line weight listed on the capacities) then you shouldn't damage the reel at all. An alternate way would be to grab the spool on a spinning reel really tight, or apply thumb pressure on a baitcaster until the line breaks. I have never faced that situation but I know a guy who will break a fish off really fast if he thinks it will spool him. I'm not sure I would, I'd be too selfish in wanting to know what I'd hooked into to do that. It might cost me some line in the long run, but then again I might land the fish of a lifetime.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I use baitcasters, when faced with that choice I usually leave the drag set and put light pressure on the spool with my thumb to slow them down. I feel that spares my reels some grief. As far as about to getting spooled, I would rather have to replace line than a reel or rod if it gets to that point.:wink:

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I'de let him take the line and hope to eventualy land the fish. If he has taken that much line off you will need to respoll anyway.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I would rather take my chances geting spooled and find out what it is. Never know when it may turn and come back at you. I would hate to cut my line before I know I cant stop the fish. Besides I dont think there is a fish in the MISS river that could spool me . Since I fish from a boat I would be hauling up the anchor first. Besides would that be a heck of a story to tell. I can hear it now. I dont know what is was but it took all my line off the reel and just kept going.

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    The drag washers manufacturers use can burn up, but rarely, on a really hard run, probably not as common in freshwater fishing as with saltwater. I've seen my uncles rebuild reels after tarpon or bonefish trips, pulling out burn't drag washers from the reels. When they rebuild the drag, they'll add a tiny amount drag grease in between washers, contrary to some installation intructions, to help protect the burn that an exceptionally hard run. I don't know what all the catters do, but some upgrade washers to carbontex or smoothies from www.smoothdrag.com . There are very detailed installation instructions in the boc library, and I know from that article as well that a very thin coating of drag grease inbetween drag washers will help prevent washer damage.

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Valid point bearcat, I fish from shore and don't have the option of raising an anchor. :confused2:

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i'd let him take it but i would still aply pressure with my thumb. and i would be mad at myself all day for cutting the line when i might have landed the fish of a lifetime in the proccess....and my reels hold a LOT of line so idk if a fish around here could run me out without tiring itself out first

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like you I have a LOT of line on my catting reels (usually more than 200 yds). Ain't no way I am cutting that line. I am "fairly" certain that he will get tired or change direction before I get spooled. The river ain't that wide and if he goes against the current he will hit the dam with me still having line. If he goes downstream I can move with him some. He'll tire out eventually (and so will I), and I will have some pretty dandy pics to share here.

10. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    It's nice to be optimistic, but I doubt any of us ever have that happen. Catfish just don't make that kind of run. I don't think I've every had one run more than 10 yards max, and I keep my drag loose compared to many others. Let them go when they make a run, and they'll soon slow down and let you gain the line back. It's a distinct possibility when fishing saltwater, but big catfish just aren't that energetic.:big_smile:

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If he spools me, then the leader should break and I'll reel my line back in and get ready for the next one. Thumb pressure usually works to help slow one down. I've never caught that big of a cat but have done it with some of my bass reels in the past. I don't think I could bring myself to cut the line, there's always a chance I will win.

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would have to let the fish pull drag and help my drag with pressure applied with my hand. I would never cut the line until I have determined if what I hooked would be a danger to me ie gator, snake are an exgirlfriend lol. work the fish and carry extra line the fish of a life time may be the next one you catch so why cut the line.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very valid point there as well. I also use a leader that is lighter than my main line.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    My reels hold 400 yards of line,someday I would like to hook a catfish that can spool me .

15. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd let him take it and deal with the consequences later. Replacing some drag washers is IMO a small price to pay for an opportunity to see what is on the end of the line.

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Just yell real loud for the passing boat to turn around and come back toward you. lol Maybe he spooled your line on his prop shaft. I have had this happen. I hope it urnt up his lower unit.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have found that the line that you are using should be the main thing to consider.If you are using a line within and set the drag within the reels recommended range,you should have no problem.Now I have regularly used very heavy monofilament to fish around sharp shell.Breaking or cutting off while a fish is stripping your reel at a tremendous rate of speed is often a lot More difficult than you would think.By putting a short length of the recommended line test on your reel spool first,and then tying your "HIGH TEST" line on,you have a safety check that will break off when it should.You will still feel a hard snatch,but not the one that would surly destroy or send your reel flying along with the fish.Face it fellows.If that object can strip down to the last few feet,you done lost the battle.It is time to save your rig.peewee-williams

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm probably young and slightly stupid, but if a big fish is pulling my line like that I'm going to fight it and let it break the line its self.

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't know what I'd do in that case,I hope to find out one day though.

20. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    wishful thinking huh? lol if it came down to it id have to let the line break, because even if you cut the line after a fight that hard that fish might already be exhausted and that hook lodged in it just might cause an infection in the fish because exhaustion will lower its immune system. but if i really thought the line was comming of the reel id probably slow the spool down enough to try and get a paddle or something aroun the line so it couldnt take no more, and id slowly try to gain the line back from around the paddle. is that going too far?? lol