The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For channel cats what would work as a better cut bait; freshly cut Bluegill or frozen Shad (caught and frozen alive) ? "Gills just don't seem to have that oily strong smeel like Shad, yet fresh is better seems to be mosts motto here . -Thanks

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
In the Ohio river here it seems the Channels and Flatties prefer the cut Bluegill Heads. Shad does pretty good too but I've caught a lot more on Bluegill heads. I guess it just depends on your area.
Good Luck!:wink::big_smile:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i like to use both but just try both at same time and when i get a bite that tells me wich one to use also cut carp works well

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Both are good cut-baits, but here in the current of the Ca. Delta I have to go with the "Shad". :confident:
:0a23:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
I have not had good luck with cut gills at my lake. I have excellent results with cut shad though. I have good results for Flatties with live gills in the river though.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
sometimes i do better on cut perch than cut shad. the good thing about perch is, if your shad aren't doing the trick, the perch are usually somewhere close! on rivers shad is always the ticket for me, or in wintertime lakes. in summer cut perch has saved many a trip for my family.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
maybe it's a time sensitive thing. i catch them good on gill heads early in the year when the waters still cool. then later in the year, after the water gets warmer. i do better on shad...

·
Registered
286 Posts
cut shad,all the way.its one of the best channel cat baits you can use!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd say that both are equal and it all depends on what the channels feel like eating at the time...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never caught a nice flatty on cut shad or perch, only live perch, but for cats i would go for the shad. If you are running trotlines you will find that a line with cut shad will catch far less turtles than a line with cut perch, I dunno why it is just my personal experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts