Cut Drum?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Was out this past weekend and was throwing worms out just to get some action, after catching a few carp and missing probably 5 more bites on the worms (had to be the finicky carp the way they were biting) I landed a couple of small drum. I thought about keeping them and cutting them up but got kinda lazy and didnt want scales all over the boat.

Anyone ever have much luck using cut drum?

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Not as good as shad or carp but cut drum will catch some catfish for you.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught a lot of blues and channels on cut drum. I once caught a 30lb and 42lb blue cat on the same drum head! I was running low on bait so I tossed it back out after catching the 30 and wham here comes a 42lb. I will use shad if I can get it. But if I can't I use what I can get drum, carp, crappie, white bass, gar channel cats. Heck I've caught catfish on almost every species of fish that swims in Kansas.

4. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I would use any type of cut bait before I would use worms. Unless creeks and the rivers are rolling.

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ya, I figured catfish like most other predatory and/or scavenging fish will hit on just about any other species in the water.

Obviously its no shad/blue gill but drum are usually pretty easy to catch. Those things are so weird, I'd say about 80% of the drum I've caught I dont even know I have a fish on. They'll hit, and me expecting it to be a channel will wait for the run, but they never do. Then when I reel in to check bait 5-10 min later they're on the line hooked perfectly through the lip.

Guess I'll stop being lazy and cut them up next time :smile2:

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    For the bigger ones that you catch you might want to try and eat him..instead of cutting him for bait....they are not to bad, pan fried..

7. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    The ones I got were pretty small, probably could almost throw them back out alive for flatties here in a few weeks.

O, and the part where I dont like to eat fish might prohibit me from frying them up :wink:

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I guess I didn't know you dont eat fish.
    That's OK more for me:smile2:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The carp would make better cut bait. I have fished em both and the carp always does better. The small live ones are ok for live bait somtimes. I have had flatts nail em.

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I use them alive up to about 9or 10in. Just cut there tail to where he can't flee when something wants to eat him up. Sometimes I'll poke there eye's out which helps to. They are one of my favorite baits live or cut, plus there internals work well to.

Later,

Chris

11. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ya, every person I tell that to is shocked bc I fish all the time. I'll keep em from time to time and give them to people, just in case I need a favor someday :smile2:

Usually the only reason I fish with worms is so I can catch something while waiting on Mr. Whiskers, that and after a big rain the cats will hit the worms...guess I'll keep using em to catch bait.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nothing wrong with that Kevin..I know others that fish but dont eat them.

For me though,1st would be i love to catch about any fish and 2nd I would rather eat fish than about anything else.

13. whuppinstix

whuppinstix New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have tried cut drum didnt have any luck, never tried any live drum

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I agree Tom and some of the best eating are drum.My first 2 blues this year came on cut drum.

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If you catch any small ones they make great live flathead bait.:wink:
    Ive never used cut drum but I think Id rather use that any bought bait.

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Pat them deer in your Avatar is way to cool.Are them pet deer you raised?

I know one person that lived in the country that had a young buck deer start coming into their yard and was like a pet.

Whats really neat is the hound in the back ground.