Cut Drum as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by John6518, Aug 29, 2008.

1. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have had excellent luck with cut carp--but what about cut drum? I tried to search board but got no hits, so I apologize if this had been addressed before. I am catch a lot of drums recently but no carp.

John

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Drum is also good cut bait

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Drum does indeed make good cut bait for both blues and channels.

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm like you and catch more drum then carp. I have fished with both and can tell no difference in size or number of bites either one brings.

5. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We could note even catch a stinkin drum this weekend. I do frequently catch some monsters--25 plus pounds. I caught one the size of the hood of my jeep--stretching a little--and thought I had broken the state record--but it is over 50 pounds. Mine was 30 something. The big ones I catch,though, run straight to the bank, so not much of a fight. I catch carp in my cast net near the bank but they have dissappeared now that weather has warmed.

Thank you all so much!

John and Josh

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never had any luck using drum for bait.

7. namggub

namggub New Member

State:
    alabama
    :quote=John6518;1176401]I have had excellent luck with cut carp--but what about cut drum? I tried to search board but got no hits, so I apologize if this had been addressed before. I am catch a lot of drums recently but no carp.

John[/quote]
    :big_smile:They are (cats) are slow to take it but it (cut Drum) worked for me on Wheeler Lake in Decatur,Al. sometimes they are finicky eaters

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Yes, cut drum works well for catfish bait.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught fish on cut drum before, but I seem to have better luck with oilier baits such as carp and shad.

10. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If ya'll want drum,let me share a secret we stumbled on. I was fishin with my neighbor out back (cumberland river) The nice part of having the river in the backyard is you can take a couple brews and no worries driving home,although I think that hill gets steeper every year :smile2:

Anyway, he knocked his beer over and it filled the nightcrawler cup. Prior we'd been catching 1-2lbs cats ,stripes and a few bream....not one drum. After the beer soakin, all we could catch was drum. So a few days later we decided to test this theory, We took out a couple crawlers and soaked them in beer....Yup...Drum.

Wonder if theres a 12 step program for fish :wink:

11. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've never used cut drum for bait but I've caught quite a few big flatheads that would have several eating size drum in gut.

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    never used drum for bait but i think it would work after all a flattie will eat anything it can catch:wink:

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've used drum from 2 inches on up course the 2to8inch are used whole or cut inhalf. here is one way to use cut or chunked drum cut it in bite size pieces this could be 2x2 chunks on up put them in a container 3/4 full put in the sun for a day then freeze them ,they take on a kind of a shrimp smell at this point I've caught alot of channels and blues on these chunks.
    Loop

14. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've used drum from 2 inches on up course the 2to8inch are used whole or cut inhalf. here is one way to use cut or chunked drum cut it in bite size pieces this could be 2x2 chunks on up put them in a container 3/4 full put in the sun for a day then freeze them ,they take on a kind of a shrimp smell at this point I've caught alot of channels and blues on these chunks.
    Loop