Cut crappie for bait ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by simpleokie, Jan 10, 2010.

1. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I was watching some guys the other day crappie fish. They were catching a few, most of them were @ 6" long. Of course they were keeping every one of them. I thought that would be just right for bait. Anyone have any luck using cut crappie for bait ?

2. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I've always had my best times with crappie with little jigs.... or small rubber worms..

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Where I fish we have a minumum length of 10 inches on crappie , so it goes in the skillet.I can catch small gills , shad or skips for bait.lol

4. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    we can keep any size crappie here and i use em all the time when i get em. they work both live and cut but they are hard to keep alive in a bucket so i usually use them as cut bait.

5. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have caught some real nice channels in the north canadian with cut crappie, but most of the time I would rather eat the crappie.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Con't use them for bait in Mo.

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I would rather eat Crappie than use it as bait

8. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I would have to say they are the best bait you could use on the waters i fish. just catching them is my problem. Im by far the worst crappie fisherman.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  9. coyote

coyote New Member

State:
    Verdigris, Ok
    If you know who Todd Huckabee is you know he catches lots of crappie guiding on Lake Eufaula here in Oklahoma. He uses the carcasses for baiting a catfish hole and then in the evening, if his clients are so inclined, he uses their left overs for bait to take them out for a catfishing trip.

10. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can not use them here in Ill. have also heard Crappie eggs are good channel cat bait

11. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I like to eat crappie too, but not when they are as small as the ones these guys were catching. I guess I'll try to catch some of the little ones for bait. I thought they might work, but I never had heard for sure. We can use them for bait as long as they are caught on a hook. If you get them in your net you cant keep them. Thanks.

12. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I like eating the 6"ers. Easy to filet. I call em popcorn crappie, very tasty!!

13. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Crappie is good bait. Use whatever you can get and compare.
    We had a good day a couple of weeks ago on bass, commonly known as greenback shad! Couldnt get anyother bait that day but that is beside the point!

14. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    hey just saw youre post . i actually went down to grand lake some this year and used crappie for bait several times . one day we couldnt get a bite on shad but we were tearin them up on crappie.on that particular day we caught three blues over 45lbs. and several over 15lbs. so yes im a believer in using crappie for bait. hope that answers your question

15. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I love them crispy fillets! We have a flood control pond we fish that is loaded with 6-8" crappie. The pond needs a flattie or 2!

16. OkieFlatHunter

OkieFlatHunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use whole and cut crappie for blues often when shad gets obliterated on site . Crappie have a tough skull and more durable skin that keeps it on the hook better

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Crappie is awesome bait man... fish it live to start, then use them cut. i prefer a white crappie to a black one, i think they can find it easier.

dont get me wrong they are good eating, but a few for bait always works good for me...

18. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Love crappie for blue cat. If I see people crappie fishing and I'm having trouble locating shad I'll give them a bucket and ask them to keep the small ones for me. They are great bait. I especially do well on the heads.

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Isn't crappie a game fish? If I'm not mistaken here in Ky its against the law to use them for bait??? at lease thats what I was told. LOL. My Bro did catch a huge flathead on one yrs ago, and I've heard of many others.

20. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Crappie are a game fish in Okla but can be used as bait. Still need to stay within daily limits on them and lenght limits on certain lakes...mainly city lakes.