Cut crappie and trout for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, Apr 13, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went fishing today and caught a small crappie and trout,will cats eat those if i use them for cut bait?or mybe use the trout head?The only reason i kept them is they were gill hooked and died so i thought instead of wasting them id use them if they worked.What do you guys think?

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Not sure but it may be illegal to use em for bait.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know about trout, but crappie make a nice bait. Caught on of my larger channels, 19lbs on a crappie head.

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Check your regs both are illegal here in AZ, game fish!!! Go with the stout blugill and baby carp.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    dude its illegal to use any part of a gamefish for bait in the state of kentucky. now that thats out of the way, i have never had any luck on trout. some guys i know use them live in the fall and do pretty good on flatheads. i have caught fish on crappie but mostly hybrid stripe. i don't make a habit out of using gamefish for bait. as a matter of fact i havent done it for years although i think this is about the dumbest law on the books. if i catch a fish i ought to be able to do with it what i want. i could take a legally caught gamefish home and throw it in the weeds and that would be legal but i would get a fine for using it for bait. don't make sense to me. oh well, shad and skipjacks are much better bait.

6. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Well i dont have a habit of doing that either but i cant see it just going to waste,so i thought i might get some use out of it.That is if you guys think it will work.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    brinley i understand your reasoning but you might want to feed the turtles with your fish waste.the ticket for useing game fish for bait is large in most states. now to answer your question. if it were legal small live crappie is the only bait i would ever use for flatheads.

8. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas

Not sure about KY but most states have a "waste of fish" law that would make the statement above unlawful. The TX law states "It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from public water of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait."

This law applies to carp and gar along with all other edible fish or bait.

It is also unlawful to use gamefish or any part of a gamefish for bait.

Be sure to check the regs because the fines are large not to mention in most states they make you replace the resource that was wasted which means more money out of you pocket.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It is illegal to use gamefish in Cali for bait as well except some private lakes, but with that out of the way, cut trout makes excellent bait. Especially trout guts. Channels love them.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    In Ohio you can use game fish as long as they were caught by R/R

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Crappie are GREAT catfish bait. I have heard of people using trout with mixed results, but I have never used it personally.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    here in indiana it legal to use game fish if legally taken. this includes cast nets but only on specific waters. So check the state regulations.

13. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well i wasnt asking if it was legal i was asking if it would work.but thanks for the replys i appreciate it.

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

James,

When asking questions about using gamefish as bait, on the BOC it is normal to recieve responses about the legality of doing so. One important fact about the BOC is that it is for improving the perception of Catfishermen. By pointing out that it may be illegal, members are showing you that while yes, it is possible to use it as bait in some states, in others doing so is irresponsible. Not following the laws set by the local DNR is one of the sterotypes that responsible catfishermen, like yourself, are trying to get rid of.

15. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Sure i understand where your comming from,but like i said i dont do this on a daily basis.The fish were gill hooked and unfortunatly died,and i just didnt want to waste the fish,i hate that.im not doing it to just to go break the law i just hate to see a fish go to waste,its better then then just throwing it back in the water dead in my opinion.

16. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Sure i understand where your comming from,but like i said i dont do this on a daily basis.The fish were gill hooked and unfortunatly died,and i just didnt want to waste the fish,i hate that.im not doing it to just to go break the law i just hate to see a fish go to waste,its better then then just throwing it back in the water dead in my opinion.