Cut chubs

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tugrivercater, Jul 20, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    has any one ever used cut creek chubs for channel cats? if so how does it work? would you perfer a bluegill head or a big chub cut in half and both peices on the hook?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive had better luck on bluegill heads but done well with cut chubs also

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've done very well using cut chubs for channels. If I can't get shad, chubs are my second favorite bait for channel.

When using them, cut the head off behind the gills, and hook it in one eye and out the other. The head is my favorite piece of bait on a chub. Depending on the size, you can get a few pieces out of the body. I don't use the tail, I cut that off.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I go out probably close to once a month and fill a couple of freezer bags full of chub for cutbait, it works really well. In the spring and early summer the channels go crazy for cut chub. Generally chub is my cutbait of choice and bluegills is my live bait of choice.

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Creek chub work just as good as skipjack/shad.

6. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    chubs are my #1bait cut or alive

7. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've had pretty good luck with creek chubs . I usually get a little more action with crappie or bluegill heads, but then again I fish them alot more.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer using a live chub over cut but if there is some dead ones then i cut em and use the head.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    chubs are great! I use cut chub several different ways. If they are bigger, 6-10 inch, chub then I cut behind the gills like already mentioned. if they are smaller (3-5 inches) then I cut the body above the tail and use the body/ head as one piece of bait. if they are real small then i just slit the belly. probably my favorite channel bait behind soft crawls