Cut Carp?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catfishguy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a lot a carp that I don't want to waste. The carp was given to me but I am not that familiar with using them for catfish. I was going to try them live and possibly cut. Has anyone done this with any success?

2. GerardTheFisherman

GerardTheFisherman New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I used them live, till I got a hefty fine from Game and Fish. I used 1 inch by 3 inch strips for channels and blues!

3. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Shouldn't be a fine here. They sell them at bait shops and a lot of people use them. I have a couple times. I just haven't used them as cut bait.

4. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Carp are considered a rough fish in Iowa. Can't throw back in water if caught. I like smoked carp caught in cold water during the spring. Have used for cut bait with mixed success.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Not supposed to use them live here in Iowa as previously stated, but I cut it in to strips, put it in a coffee can, add a little milk and a couple garlic bulbs... let it sit for a day or so and you should have a nice cut bait...

My general thoughts on cut baits are early season and fall though. I move to live in the summer months!

Good luck and tight lines

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to leave the hide on and fillet,then cut into chunks about 1 1/2 -2" square
    if you leave the scales on ,make sure to check the hook point for a scale,it can cause a missed fish.

7. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I had good luck with a 4# carp I brought home, scaled, filleted and then cut into chunks & strips. Froze it in 3 small ziplock bags. Seemed after a couple of trips it just got better and better.

Next year I plan on doing the same only I may scale it then lay it out to ripen for a day before cutting.