Cut Carp?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Vukhufu, May 27, 2008.

1. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Many times I have found myself at the river long before dawn and out of the bait I brought but not quite ready to pack it up. I've read on here that cut carp is good bait. I can catch carp with little effort or time 24/7. I know the scioto river is so thick with them that me cutting one up cant possibly hurt the population but for some reason I dont feel right about it. The average carp is around 6 or 7 lbs. I would feel bad about cutting up a 7 lb fish to end up getting no hits on it.

So... how good of a bait is it? Should I feel bad about cutting one up? Should I slice and dice or call it a night? What part of the carp makes the best bait?

Anyone who uses cut carp as catfish bait please respond, any feedback is appreciated.

2. SteelWolve

SteelWolve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a 2 or 3 lber in my cast net one night while at Hoover, I couldn't find any shad so I decided to give it a try. I wasn't catching many that night if I remember right, and I'm sure I didn't get a bite on the carp. I did keep the rest and tried it again the next night over on the Scioto and again it didn't produce. I probably wont try it again unless in a real pinch.

On a side note...
    I just checked the REGs on cast netting carp, I was aware they were considered a "Forage fish" thats why I thought it was OK to keep it out of my cast net, but after re-reading the rules I'm not sure.... the wording is a little tricky. Ive posted below the exact wording from the ODNR site. I'm still not sure.. what do you guys think?

Also wasn't the old regulation a 5 foot diameter cast net on Ohio waters? It now says 10 ft, was that changed or was I misinformed?

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.

FORAGE FISH means freshwater drum (in the Lake Erie fishing district only), carp, quillback, suckers, bowfin, gar, buffalo, gizzard shad, and goldfish. These species may be taken by any method except by means of explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, chemicals, nets, seines, or traps, or by snagging within 1,000 feet downstream of a dam. Gizzard shad and smelt may be taken with a minnow seine, minnow dip net, or hand landing net.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    cut carp makes great bait for channel cat and my uncle has even caught flatties on it. just cut it as you would normally fillet a fish then cut a chunk of that meat off and use it for bait. i ususally take the skin off of mine and use just the meat but whatever you do should work fine.

4. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    i have only used carp 1 time and we caught some on the ohio. we also caught them on everything we took that night. just try it might work for you.

5. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    carp for cut bait is a pretty good bait. But if you can catch a 1 to 2 pound carp keep it alive and use it for live bait. Flatties love them alive.

6. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Cut the head off and use the head. I'd love to catch a 6 or 7 pound carp for that!

7. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Ive seen some dead carp that have been bloating in the sun for a few hot summer days, cant be bad for channel cats. It probably wouldnt be the most fun thing to cut into... but thats a small price to pay to do something you love.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never really did any good on it

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tried cut carp many times, never ever got a hit on it.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I have used cut Carp several times on the Ohio River and did get hits but no Flatheads.

If I may suggest get some Shad Heads and freeze them. As Mizz stated heads r better than bodies most of the time. Frozen Shad gets mushy but there r two spots one the heads that stay very firm. Than take a small back up bag.

The problem lies when u start gettin more Flats on the cut Shad than the live bait...he hee.

:smile2: