Cut carp does it again

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by raybait1, Sep 23, 2008.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
  2. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    nice fish.

No limit on catfish here in SC, I just have to get out and get to fishing! :roll_eyes:

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Nice fish! Cut carp is definitely a great bait. I have a freezer full of carp ready for this winter.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i guess i will catch one tomorrow and see how it does for me thanks for the pics and tip

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Sounds like you had a good day Ray. Thanks for sharin your report and the pics.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Nice lookin Blue Ray! Congrats to you, I bet it was fun as all get out.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nice keepers!

Cut carp is also good for fertilizer and coon bait!

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the report Ray. Glad the carp was producing so well for you!

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Carp have a lot of blood in them, makes for great fresh bait.
    I like to make my first cut lengthwise down the backbone. This lets the blood pool up under the meat. Then cut off chunks or strips as needed.

Dallas you can bring the leftovers of the carp home. Fillet it out, cube it and freeze it in small quantitys in sandwich bags. I had my best luck with it once it had made a few freeze thaw cycles. So you might want to consider letting some get a bit "ripe" before freezing.

Also next year I want to experiment with flavoring carp before freezing it. Things like liver, blood, vanilla, garlic come to mind. Just don't have enough fishing days left this year to test.

10. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How are you doing your carp? chunks or filets and on what hook? Other than that looks like a good day. congrats brother :cool2:

11. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Cool :cool2: I may try to freeze some carp and give it a go this winter. Congrats on the catch brother!

12. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas

I scale them and slice them off the backbone like a fillet. Cut them into strips 1/2"x1"x1/4". Using a 6/0 Khale hook I hook the strips through one end and leave it dangling. If you make sure to get your hook through the skin on each piece, it'll be on there untill you take it off. I also save the heads for my trotlines :)

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the infro going to try it have you ever tryed the strips on trot lines :smile2:

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Yes, they work very well. I usualy use shad but theyve been so hard to come by lately. Maybe the cats are having a hard time getting shad too so their settling for the carp :)

15. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never used carp before but I will try it next time I catch one.