Cut Carp Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by OlDrum, May 6, 2007.

1. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We tried using fresh cut carp for bait last year and never got a nibble. We were using golden eye and shad on other lines and filled the boat. I read where several of you all use carp. What is the secret to using cut carp?:0a28:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No real secret David. If they arnt biting one, try the other. Most of us are finding the asians work better in the dog days of summer when the shad get sort of hard to come by anyway. Most of us filet the side off of the carp, then cut it into strips. Summer time, I will use very large chunks 1" X 10". Its just a matter of preference though. If you fish several rigs, try different baits and find what it is the fish want then give it to them. No Degree in Rocketry is needed. :cool2: Good Luck.

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ditto what Cuz said. I like to cut the strips vertically if that makes sense. I find that they hold the hook better if I attach them with the upper (close to the back) portion of the strip vice the belly.

Play with it a little though. Different sizes and shapes may work differently for you.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    When cutting up those carp, bait your first poles with the guts. Caught more on the guts than the meat.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Tip!!! Thank's Ron J.D.