Cut carp bait for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by fishinpolak, Mar 8, 2007.

1. fishinpolak

fishinpolak New Member

State:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey guys i was wondering if any1 here used cut carp bait for flatys. Iv herd of people useing them. Anyone know if this works good?

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught some nice channels on cut carp, but not any flatheads.

3. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey man, Usually when it comes to flattys they would prefer live bait over any cut bait. Although, i have caught a few flattys on dead perch and shad..... but when it comes to the kittys ( channel ) you best hold on to that pole when usin that cut carp!!

4. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Haven’t done much cat fishing since Lincoln was president or was it Eisenhower (sp) any way out west when we could not get Sturgeon to bite on Smelt, Shad, Crappie, Night Crawlers, Sand Shrimp, or Anchovies, we would pull out Carp chucks frozen in fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
    Caught a lot of Sturgeon on it at times. Not so different then cats.
    Have fun and get a biggen!

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I've used cut Carp that was very fresh and only got one or two Yellows on it at best.

Now on fresh cut Shad I now get alot/most of my Flatties on. I'd say here in NE Ohio on the Ohio River that Cut Shad does about 3 to 4 times better than any live bait that I've used.

:cool2:

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    just leave that carp whole and put a hook in him

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    mostly I caught 25 to 30inch carp and almost throw them on shore, but my grandpa got some idea, and he said why not try cutbait carp for catfish, then we did give try to use cutbait, caught some nice of channels but have not caught flathead on it...

8. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well after reading these i guess it just kinda depends on where your from and what your tactics are for them fish huh?

9. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Yeah, I use fresh cut up carp all the time when im fishing. Ive actualy used it when fishing for flatties and have caught quite a few up to 20 lbs. Ive also caught alot of channels on it too. In my opinion its one of the best baits for cats. I hope this info can help you, good luck fishing.