cut carp? Any luck as catfish cut bait?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catman1982, Apr 7, 2009.

1. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    i caught a pretty big carp and was wonderin if anyone has tryed or had luck with hackin one up and usin it as bait? thanks

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    caught a few on the jumping carp but it is tough and nasty and would rather have something else myself but I know one guy who swears by it for eating size fish. Ain't got nothing to loose give it a try is the way I see it.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Gary. I use it all the time for channels here in my home lake. I fillet leaving the skin on,You may want to scale or not,Just watch that a scale doesn't get on the hook point . Chunk in sizes to suit you ,salt heavily with non iodised salt and freeze. I like to keep them in about 1 1/2 " chunks.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's one of the best baits there is for summertime blues on the Missouri River. It's definitely worth giving a try.

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use cut carp and buffalo to catch big blues a lot in the winter when the shad get tough to catch. There are times when it works very well, and times when it doesn't. The one thing good is it freezes well, but always seems to work better when fresh.

6. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have caught a few eating size on cut carp, but if you can ever catch baby carp in the net when netting shad or herring, then I would definately put them on first. Caught about 3 baby carp once when netting shad and that night all our fish came off of the carp, caught 3 off of one carp. 10 to 25lb range

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Have tried it a couple of times with no success

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Cut carp and buffalo are the two best baits during the late fall and early winter here.
    I will keep them alive until I cut them. I have kept a 5lb carp alive for 3 weeks inside my "pond". I just put it in a floating bait basket and kept it out in the middle of the pond. I had like 4 of them in there at first but kept pulling them one at a time to use.

They do freeze well, but i prefer fresh. Little hint, buy a good "litterbox" for cutting and scaling these guys in. They will drop a lot of blood and this keeps it off of your boat.

I cut my carp and buff into 1" to 2" strips depending on hook size and the size of fish i am targeting. You might have to "thin down" your strips by cutting off a little of the meat. I like mine about 1/2" thick but have used up to 2" this on jug lines.

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That blue in my avatar was caught on cut bighead. I use it all the time on the MO and salt river here in Mid Mo. A good tip is to bleed one into a pan toss that carp. Fillet another one cube into 2 inch chunks and let soak in the blood a few min. It freezes well and works great even had it out fish shad. And yea small live carp and buff fish work great as live bait.
    Best to keep it fresh and bloody on ice, if it gets hot it dont work well.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    carp makes good bait its kinda bloody and thats a good thing like reload said chunk it up and scale theam thoes scales are tuff and if it gets over the hook you wont set the hook good luck

11. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know some ole boys in NC that fished the Cape Fear, they used carp they caught up at jordon lake. I remember them catching some pretty nice fish.

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I caught a carp today and cut off a peice and threw it back out.Had one good hit but missed him then had to go home.Cut the rest of it up for tomorrow.Thats the only bite Ive had in a month.:smile2:

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yep makes for good bait and don' forget to use the head,, AZFlats got a state record flat in AZ on a carp head:wink:

14. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Gary--I am a new one here (just past year). Last August, I threw a nasty piece of cut carp (frozen, thawed and refrozen two or three times) out by a bouy on the Arkansas River a mile from my home in Little Rock--I live on bluffs over looking the river. About 10:00 p.m. on a saturday night. Only reason down there is my little boy was having trouble sleeping, so we went out for a drive and he talked me into wetting a hook (I am a middle aged, first time father so I am more like a grandfather, and spoil my little one). Before I could get back to my lawn chair, I almost lost my rod. 45 minutes later I had a 42 pound blue flopping on the bank! My previous record was a 28 pound flathead. And yes my little one and me stayed up way past our bed times that night! And yes, cut carp is my favorite bait, as you would suspect!

John

15. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    if i cant get shad that's what i use now,used to be alway's until i moved down here and started using shad but back in indiana cut carp is all i used and caught plenty of big blue's on them.

16. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have had some luck with it before when I can't find shad. In my opinion it is a pretty decent bait.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i think the buffalo carp makes a better cut bait but i will use both but have better luck and perfer buffalo.