cut carp? any good for cut bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman1982, Apr 7, 2009.

1. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    i cought a pretty big carp and was wondering if anyone has ever tryed or had any luck with hackin on of them up for bait if not im just gonna let it go thanks

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thay make pretty good bait i use theam it pays to have several diffrent cut baits

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    shoot yeah cats love carp.if its a big one id cut it in chunks a small one heck you could hook the whole thing and send it back out.but carp makes a good cat bait.

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It's good bait or good chum!

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A friend told me a couple years ago, that carp guts were good bait. He heard that from someone in Iowa, not legal to use in MN. I've gotten bits on jacksmelt in lakes in CA.

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've had very good luck using pieces of carp for cut bait.

I had even better luck when I took the rest of the fish home, filleted it out, froze it in a zip lock bag. Take it fishing, lay it in the sun, use a few pieces. About the 2rd freeze thaw cycle all of a sudden it was my best bait going until I ran out.

I've been lurking on the English Carp fishing msg boards, and they'd be horrified to hear of their prized game fish being used for bait.

A nice chunky 5- 10lb fish should give you a very good bait supply for some time to come. BTW unlike cleaning a fish to eat, for bait scale off a side, then make your long cut along the backbone. Let the fish bleed out so that the meat soaks in that blood.

7. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Cut it into 1-2 inch chunks, put it in a glass jar with a little water in it and bury it in the ground. Leave it for a few days or until it sours. You don't want it to rot, just sour. Stays pretty firm. Great early spring bait especially when cats are feeding on winter killed baitfish. Will catch fish an time of the year though, just best in the spring.

8. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    sucker over carp any day though.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut and live carp is my main bait year round. something i started doing last year was to slit their gills and bleed them into a bag before filleting them. then i vacuum pack all the cut up peices in the blood and it works great. some batches i also use fresh crushed garlic and country crock butter in with the bait peices. let it sit in the fridge a few days before freezing it. make sure you wash the bag before you throw it in the fridge. if it sealed right you won't even know it's there. if it didn't seal, you're headed for a divorce.

10. Tip123Q

Tip123Q New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wats the best way to cut carp i mean do u cut it in chunks like u would a bluegill or do u fillet them? or does ether way work

11. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks so much for this thread, and the good post. ive herd about use carp a few times, and now this thread is going to make me try it, i seen a thread last night from hog223 ( i think ) he got a 68lbs blue on cut up carp thanks

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    carp works good here.

13. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've had good luck with carp just scale it and cut it into about two inch squares if you freeze it put the guts with it use the guts and fleash for bait it works better fresh.

14. bluecataddict

bluecataddict New Member

State:
    missouri
    I know for a fact that big blues love cut carp.We have caught a lot of blues in general on carp.It has become our fav bait ,,,,now I need to find some bow fisherman and get as much as I can.I think its due to the fact that carp has a lot of oil and smell to it and its a bigger meal to the fish .we scale it and cut it into 4 to 6 inch strips an inch thick.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks. I heard of souring the chunks of fish before. I'm assuming it's good for blues and channels but not flatheads, right? We don't have blues here so it would only be a bait for channels for me.

Do you catch the blood and add it the the meat/water mixture?

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I hang them up and cut off the tails and catch the blood then fillet them and cut into chunks and put in the bag with the blood works pretty good makes good shark bait also.

17. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis

Hey catman whats up bro yeah down here we found carp 2b very good when they r not hitting on anything else

18. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Should of seen us at Santee, my buddy had a friend who went bowfishing so of course we got 10-15 carp. We walked into the fish cleaning shed and whipped out the fillet knives. We had a couple guys walk in to see our catch and see what we were filleting up. Luckily my friend had a good tale ready cause I'd hate to get the reputation that I was getting ready to have a carp fry LOL

19. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    No, only what blood happens to be on the meat. It is somewhat bloody though. Channels love it. especially in spring. Sorry so long to reply. Haven't had time to get on here much lately.

20. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    yeah catfish love carp!! live small ones up 2 a pound for big flatheads!!! and use their heads for blues and strips of fillets for channels!!!