CUT BLUEGILL

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 20, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    PEOPLE SWEAR BY SHAD, BUT THE PROBLEM FOR BANKMEN IS WEN WE CAST THAT CAN FLY OFF, SKIPJACK, NEVER EVEN SEEN THEM LIVE, ID LIKE SOME, BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO GET THEM, SO I FIGERD ID TRY CUT BLUEGILL AND SHAD, ANY BODY HAVE ANY LUCK ON CUT BLUEGILL BELOW ALTONE,

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Shad stay on the hook pretty good. Not sure why you are slinging them off the hook????

3. Big Muddy Catter

Big Muddy Catter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley MO
    I have only had shad fly off once and it was my fault. I didn't hook it on good enough.:crazy:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i better listen and get a cast net, with big shad, i gues gills are no good over there

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Any cut bait that bleeds will work but you'd be better off fishing with the Blue Cats main food source. If you can't afford a net right now use what bait you can get but a castnet will pay for itself in short order both financially and in reduced frustration. BONUS: More time fishing!

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bluegill heads are good bait for blues. My personal best was caught on bluegill head and many other nice ones too.:wink:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Cut gills are great Blue bait. I caught a 7lb Blue last night on a good sized live gill. If their hungry they'll eat about anything that is in front of them.:wink::cool2:

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To keep bait on the hook cut a piece of wide rubber band in a lil square.After putting the bait on put the lil piece of rubber band on the hook making sure to push it past the barb..That should keep the shad or cut bait on the hook as you fling it..

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    m starting to see a trend hear, in lakes bluegill are a primary bait, in rivers, sihad is, so i would think the best aproch would be to fish with a live shad, suspended teen foot of the bottem, with a gamma 8 or 10 ot, but, thers that boat issiu, i need to get me a boat, and get out there before i get to weak from this nerve condition, i only got so long, but i just want to live it upo till i cant get around, ps dont need no pity we all got to die, not saying i got a set time to live, but im not as strong and it is progesing, parkensence maby als,

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cut blugill is my main bait because its easy for me to get and i catch alot of big blues off of it... in the river. sense you say you dont have a net im assumeing that your using shad sides out of a jar from a bait shop. to keep them on a hook i start at the top hook it rotate it around to hook again and keep doing this till its threaded all the way up the shank of the hook and let the rest hang off.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no, i havent went to the vriver yet this year, my net tore last fall, i used bluegill heads on a lake and got a 10 and a 15, right here

Attached Files:

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I HAVE DONE REALY GOOD WITH SHAD BUT MY BIGGEST FISH HAS COME FROM CUT OR LIVE PERCH.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice fish Jake.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    at lakes they feed off any cut, in a river, skip carp, shad, , awserd this from, a pro, theres not alot of gill in the missisipie,

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slikk I've heard you can catch Mooneye shad around tied up barges using crickets on a bluegill rig. Just a suggestion.