cut blue gills

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Feb 17, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone use cut blue gills in place of skips for blues? I'm just wondering i gotta round up some bait.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris: Yes cut or live bluegills makes a good bait. If you are going to cut bluegills be sure and read your state laws first. Some states have length laws, pretaining to cut bluegills. I hope this helps.:crazy:

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Bluegills make terrific cut bait, I have caught a lot of big blues on both cut and live sunfish. They are my choice behind skipjack and shad, but I don't feel at all disadvantaged if they are the only bait I have. I tend to trim the sharp fins so that the cats don't have to mouth the bait carefully. I just feel that I have a better chance of hooking up that way. I have never had any problem with them being frozen either. Big fish and good fishing to you!

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I ALMOST ALWAYS USE BLUE GILLS AS BAIT BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CAST A CAST NET YET AND THE GILLS DO WORK WELL.

5. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    cut bluegill work great best if they are fresh.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good cause I think thats is all I can get right now.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I use them quite often and have great luck .

8. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    gills are good bait, I have also had great luck with bluegill heads, I dont really understand it, but I seem to have better luck with just the head. just hook'em through the eyes and hang on!!

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have also fished bluegills with decent results. I caught all with the heads and none with the body dont know why though.