Cut Blue Gill...should I be filleting them?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by USE TO BE, Jul 11, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you cut your bluegills? Do you scale and fillet them and use the fillets? I tried using heads last week and didn't have much luck. I also just chunked up the body parts, bones and all. Should I be filleting them. My problem is I got some Danny Kings and I catch so many fish on it that I forget about my poles with live and cut bait. I want to concentrate on cut and live bait this weekend because I want to catch some bigger fish. I have vowed to only use DK's on one pole.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I guess either way is fine. I have always chunked them and never had a problem. The cats don't mind the bones at all. Occasionally when fishing larger chunks, I may slash each side a couple of times to put out a stronger scent trail.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Been on the forum 3 months. Always had diff. catching cats- more into bass and trout. Since being here, these folks have taught me a lot. I have ponds with many bluegill. Take a pole, put a piece of anything on it , catch what I need and go fishing. At the river I cut their heads and tails off, throw them in for chum or an appetizer for them. Cut the rest into whatever size I might think appropriate, and start fishing. Don't scale them, scale a little off to increase the scent trail. I add fresh bait after 30-40 minutes. Works like a charm. I love this place.

4. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    never tried bluegil as bait defenetly gonna try it now.

5. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    My friends would always use the fillet with the skin off.It seems to work great for channels and sometimes an occasional Flat.I would always tell them to leave the head for me...works great for Flats.If you were to try this,i would put a decent size fillet and leave the skin on.This way,drums/sheepheads wont take the bait and it`s alot harder to come off.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    David,
    Try this:
    Turn the 'gill so it's belly up. Put your knife blade on the vent and slice vertically down to the backbone. Turn the blade toward the head and slice up to the head keeping the blade against the backbone. At the head turn the blade vertical again and cut down through the backbone and flesh. It's a lot simpler than it sounds!
    This will leave you with 2 pieces, one all meat with the tail and backbone, the other, the head and guts. Both make good bait...W