The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy brothers have any of yall tried cut large mouth bass for bait or yused the whole thing if it was small if so have you had any good results?:confused2: just thinking of trying it thanks for the info:big_smile:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Chris be sure and check the laws in your state before cutting up a bass for bait use. It's illegal in some states.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I'm sure that it might work under the right circumstances but I tried it once and didnt get a bite. I ended up feeling like I wasted a good game fish instead. Heck it might have even been illegal for all I know?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Should be good bait. Just check the laws. Here in PA you can use any legally taken game fish as bait.

·
Registered
913 Posts
howdy brothers have any of yall tried cut large mouth bass for bait or yused the whole thing if it was small if so have you had any good results?:confused2: just thinking of trying it thanks for the info:big_smile:[/quotemariofish it works:cool2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
it sound like its baitlol

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
"...have any of yall tried cut large mouth bass for bait..."

They make good bait during certain times of the year. Striper is good bait too.

Make sure it is legal in your area, and if it is, be sure to keep the carcass around in case you have a length minimum.

·
Registered
550 Posts
ahhh you dont wanna use bass anyway. you see that channel i'm holdin in my avatar? yep caught it on a thumbnail size fresh water clam. most lakes and river systems have them and i promise you even if they dont if you use them they will come. lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
white bass have worked well for me and they are usually abundant.turn them large and smallmouth back cause shad work better anyhow.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i dont use bass. i will use bluegill first. if i catch a bass i will just toss it back in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There is a pond I like to fish that I can get plenty of dink bass out of, but no bluegill, I use the filets and cut bait sections and it works ok. I do like perch better though

·
Registered
774 Posts
:angry: its illegal here but i've seen cats eat bass... i just wish we could use them

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
It's perfectly legal here and I will gladly use a 6" bass if I find one while catching gills. I've caught some of my best cats on them. I never tried a grown up bass, just a few little ones here and there. In other words I wouldn't go bassin just for bait.

-Jim-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts