cut baits

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, Sep 14, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how long do most of you keep a peice in the water, and will freezing my bait the day before i take a trip work good, im a flathead guy new to cut baits forth time bluecat fishing

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A better option would be to put the fish in the refrigerator or in a baggie on top of ice in a cooler. They will be fresher that way verses being frozen. I don't freeze bait unless I'm not fishing for a few days......and that still works fine if that's all I have.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    im with jimmy if your just keeping it over night id keep it in the fridge instead of the freezer.fresh is always best but i find the frozen stuff will work to.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You got some good advice Slikk. Fresher the better:wink:

5. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'd say a half hour or so in the water then change bait. I wouldn't freeze it unless I had to keep it a while. There is a good article on how to freeze cut bait in the members library! Just my $.02, hope it helps!

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the post, I saw some good information:0a24:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I like to freeze my cut bait, but I really just started to use cut baits for catfish, I am a liver and worm guy.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will keep fresh bait in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and they are fine. I will wrap the bait in saran wrap (I think its saran wrap, the clear real clingy stuff) then tin foil. If I need to freeze them, I will use a vacuum sealer. Good luck.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I fish for blues, I like fresh skipjack with the blood still running out. I will usually try to change baits every hour or so with fresh chunks. I also like to take the guts and hook them on and then a chunk of skipjack. It seems to me that with the guts, I always catch fish. Without any guts....I just get nibbles. Frozen still works...but not as good as fresh!:wink: