Cut baits - Oilier the better ???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by villaitefla, Oct 16, 2006.

1. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Reading the posts of late regarding the best way to present a fish bait to a Channel ..... live or cut ?? it seems to me that a Shad is used because of it's "oilyness" .... Am I right in thinking that the oilier the fish, the better the chance of a Channel picking it up? (of course, I'm sure the Turtles will appreciate it too .. :sad2: )
    I ask this, as I have no idea where I can catch Shad in Orlando, so I'm going to be using Bluegills. I have some fish oil, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever injected oil into a cutbait, and if so were the results any better .... if not, then it looks like I'll be the one to report if it works or not !!!!
    Or maybe I should be injecting blood ..... ??

What do you guys reckon ...... ????

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried dipping dead bluegill in tuna fish oil, never got a bite. It was too messy for me to give it another try! lol good luck Tony

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Tony I am not sure if ya want to try it but. Whenevr I cant get a hold of oily native baitfish I use fresh sardines bought by the pound not in the can. Ive fished with them in Jersey Georgia Penn. and California and the results have been good in every state. Just steak them up. Or if they are super fresh wich they almost never are fillet them and use the fillets with the skin on

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A quick trip to the beach should land you some mullet, it's a good bait also. Oily and tough (if keep cold). In the library there are a few articles covering cut bait and soking/freezing it in it own pureed guts and a how to on extracting fish oil from fish.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Thanks for sharing ............. Keep your poles wet .

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    In my experience any bait fish fresh(heart still beating) cut up is the best. I like shad for all the oils.
    I use live mostly but soon as one dies,it gets to be cut bait!!!

7. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    I wonder how mullet would be I know it is good crab bait nad other fish eat it If anyone knows let me know thanks

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    For all you people that are to far inland or don't have access to shad or skipjack herring...Carp is regarded as an oily fish and good cat bait...Just thought I'd throw that in....Dwight

9. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i like using anvhovies, you should be able to find a bag of 20 or so for around 5 bucks at walmart or most baitstores, very oily bait fish, works good here in so cali

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    They just about have to be there. In a lake a few miles from where I lived just north of the St. Petersburg area, bass fishermen not only used them for bait, but chummed with them. Another option would be to try some oily, bloody saltwater fish, such as ladyfish, 'cuda, jack crevalle, and even mackerel.

11. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Great info from all!!!
    I know that if I can't find any Skipjack, Shad or Chuba, I go get me some sardines. Preferably in soy oil.

12. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have had good luck putting a tablespoon of cod liver oil in a ziplock bag with my cut bait. It is very oily and has a great scent too. Good luck.