cut baits? help me out.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bigwig531, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am trying to figure this one out guys.
    i fish the local pay lake alot. these guys rip these HUGE 30+ cats out of the water with cut bait. i try it and they never bite.

where exactly do i cut the bluegill, and how exactly do i hook them. i have tryed getting these local guys to explain this but they would rather not give it up to a youngster like myself.
    i have read many other post and cant figure it out properly.

thanks in advance.

2. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hey bud dont let them bother ya none,just cut them in pieces big enough to fit your hook and toss them out and rip some lips.or you can cut them long ways like you were filleting them :roll_eyes:

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I like to "Flatten" 'em out with my foot first, then cut them up in pieces large enough to fit the hook you're using. HTH, Elliot

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I fillet them then use a whole side of perch, or better yet, use the head. I catch my biggest blues on perch heads or shad heads.

5. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey, i found out why i can never catch anything then LOL i am useing like half the fish as one baiting and the way it is being explained you guys just cube them the size that will fit the hook.
    so lets say i am useing a standard 3 way hook i would need like a 1 inch by 1 inch cube with some gut or brain hangin out to lure them in?

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    First off, are they blues or channels? What size gill you useing?
    Get some khale hooks or even some circle hooks and take one pole and put the head with some guts your other pole use the other piece. If they are small gills and you fishing for channels, use em live. Size of a credit card:wink:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cut my bait two different ways,One just cut the head off,then make cuts from that point every inch or so till you run out of fish,This makes at least four baits depending on the size . The second way is to fillet the fish,and then I cut it into four pieces if big enough .

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If the fish are 30+ you cant use too big a piece.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i usually cut the head off right behind the gills and cut off the tail put the body on one hook and the head on the other. tike was said i dont think you can go too big i like um about the size of my hand.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    The main thing is dont over bait the hook so that when they do hit the hook dont set and you are just pulling the bait out of the fishes mouth .

I would for sure use the head on 1 pole , and a good fillet or gut pocket on the other .

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think we can get to the root of your problem here. When you say standard three way hook what size are you talking about? Hook size and bait size ar critical when baiting up. The first thing to remember is never hide your hook. You need plenty of point and barb sticking out where it can do the most good. Generally the bigger the bait the bigger hook you will need. I catch a lot of small channels on 10/0 king khales, not on purpose though.lol Another thing to consider is the strength of the place that you are pulling the hook through. I like to hook heads through the eyes. This leaves plenty of hook exposed for better sets. Think of it this way, fish don't know what a hook is. They don't even think about it till it is to late! lol :wink:

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    fella a 30 pounder will take 2 bluegills if it wants them it may not be the bait size it may be presentation or location . try cutting the blue gills head off use the head about 3 feet down with a large float no weight . then cut the other part in half removing the tail fish them on bottom . if this doesnt work use gill alive and fish shallow in the corner of lake

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if everyone else is using gills as bait, you need to go get some creek chubs skipjacks or shad!!!!!!!! use these baits live if you can so the big cats have a chance to get at them before the runts. dont let anyone see what you are using either because you wont be able to keep those fish off your BETTER baits and they will all soon be using them too!!!!!!!

you should really think about contributing to pay lakes though. IMO

14. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    for bluegill i hook them under the back with a 7/0 hook and then sometimes i use a leader under that and run a treble hook into the tail area and i like to cut them up the belly and they tend to leave a bit of a blood trail in the water as they swim around.

15. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys, i got some really really good info here.
    The pay lake where i fish i used to work there. i know for a FACT there is over 10,000 pounds of cat fish in there at the current date, there is several over 100 pounds and and thousands between 45 and 75. this was when the lake was stocked when i worked there 3 years ago. i asked the owner to see the record books last week, she record EVERY fish coming through the gate that is over 20 pounds. to date the largest fish weighed 37 pounds, so im looking at literally thousands of huge cats in this pay pond. but all i can ever hook up on are like 3 and 4 pounders...
    i saw a fish come to the top when i was fishing there last time, it was atleast 5 ft long, looked to be a flat head, this thing was a monster, could easily eat a small child with no problem.

i've learned somthing about this place tho. the guy who runs it now "bob" he uses a #2 golden eagle claw hook along with chicken liver chicken blood dough bait, he catches a fish about every 5 min. but they are all small, so im thinking, if i use some smaller NON-HYBRID bluegill on the back of the lake where no one ever wants to walk i could hook up on some monsters.

in the front you cant catch anything on liver or crawlers because the bluegill will eat it right off the hook in a matter of minutes. if you catch them you would think they where a small cat, they are alot larger then your hand, stupid hybrid fish.

but it cost 10 bucks to fish for 8 hours with the first 4 fish free, during tourniments anything over 20 pounds has to be thrown back, i fished them all last year and the biggest fish caught was 8 pounds all season.

so i need some bluegill about credit card size with a circle hook through the gut?????

do i need to fish it on the bottom with weight? the top with floater? or with nothing but a hook?
    fish it on the bank or out in the middle?
    thanks guys, you people are so helpful i only wish i knew half what you guys do, i wouldnt be fishing a stupid pay lake i bet ya. LOL

16. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    oh and alive or dead when do i change bait? how long does it normally take for the big cats to strike?
    last year i had a GREAT run on some dead shad, almost lost my pole, but i had it hooked wrong and the hook couldnt set.

later

17. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I always try to keep fresh bait on. I'll change every 30-45 minutes or so. In colder water maybe longer. If I don't get a hit within 30 minutes or so I'll reel in and check my baits. As far as how long it takes, it all depends. I've had them nail baits almost as soon as they hit the bottom and sometimes they just don't hit. lol