cut bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fishnohio, Jan 3, 2008.

1. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i am new to flathead fishing and would like to know and see how you gentlemen cut your bait and do you just cut shad or do you also cut bluegills and what other fish have you had luck on cutting,if anyone know of some pics on how to cut bait it would be very helpful,,,,thanks in advance for any information........Mike

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Shad and skipjack I like to fillet them. You can fish with the heads but have had better luck with the fillets as it exposes a greater area given off sent. Also can use the gut pocket or thread on the guts has worked great when other baits have not. Bluegill I like to use alive, but you can fillet them too.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I like to use the heads. Bluegill and trout heads are deadly for flatheads and big channels in the river I fish.

When using the body section of the fish, make sure you always leave the guts and crap in there. it releases extra scent.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i carry scissors and cut them in half(or thirds if running low) keeping the rest alive till ready to bait up. i use gills mostly but thats because i can get them easiest. chubs, carp, sucker, shad, skippies,.......... any stinky baitfish will work. the question is what one they like better in your waters!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cut my sahd in chunks, probably 2 pieces on a 8 inch shad..I love the heads!

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i like shad heads, black perch heads and fillets. if fishing current when i get off my lazzy butt to do it u really need to change cut bait around every 20 minutes i feel this really helps alot.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    first of all welcome to the site bro. i see you are an ohio guy!! well, i prefer shad heads as well, and bluegill heads, i cut them right behind the head leaving some meat, but not cutting into the cuts... i use a pair of scizzors and they work great!.. however, i do prefer livebait for flatheads most of the time, but its up to you on how you want to pursue them. i have a thread in the ohio river talk, for beginner flathead fishermen if you haven't read it, you might check it out.. lots of basic info, not just from me, but from lots of people on this site... if you have any questions feel free to ask them openly or shoot me a pm. goodluck this year in your pursuit....rollo

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    another thing i learned that seems to help is cutting off the gill plates on heads and exsposing the red gills more i use a pair of syscors for this i feel the gills put off sent .

9. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Mike a guide showed me how you start to fillet a shad making your cut just behind its head. You make your slice about 3/4 of the way down its body and leave it hanging instead of cutting it all the way. You then thread its head and body onto your hook and leave the part you just cut hanging. It was different for me and I have had good luck with it.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I mostly use live bait when fishing for flats but sometimes i will cut it too. I like to cut my bluegills just behind the dorsal fin and slice the tail off. They bleed good and stay alive pretty long on the hook as long as you don't cut too deep.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    When using cut bait, I like to use the heads. Skipjack or bluegill, cut the head off then lightly step on it just till you hear it pop(don't crush it) then hook it through the eyes.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I'm not using live Bluegil or live shad or live skipjacks....then I'm using heads from the same bait fish. I have found Bluegil heads to be my favorite bait no matter what species of fish I am fishing for. They work for me very well. You must find what works for you and stick to your bait of choice:cool2:

13. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    i use two or three whole 3 or 4 inch shad hooked through the eyes...
    lee

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, first off welcome to the BOC. You won't find a more inviting site on the net lol. Second there are some smartasses on here.

I use any fish I can as live or cut bait. "Except GAR". For some reason (stink), nobody wants to eat gar flesh.

So whatever you decide to use for cut-bait, first scale it to let more scent into the water. Shad and gills especially. And carp and suckers...etc. Then fillet them and cut into one inch pieces. You can always add 3 to 8 pieces to a hook, and the more pieces, the more surface area that comes in contact with the water. Which theoretically means more fish that come to your bait lol.

15. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I spend alot of time persuing flatheads and like to have cut bait out on one rod.Usually i use shad because they are plentiful so i take shears i bought at walmart and cut them diagnal trying to leave the gut portion attached to the head.Both ends work and have caught flats on the head and tail portion.