Cut bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 9, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I WAS WONDERING IS CUT BLUEGILL AS GOOD AS CUT SHAD

2. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    IMO, either one can work just as good as the other. It all depends what the fish are in the mood for. Obviously, if you are fishing a water that has blue gill and no shad, you should use blue gill and vice versa. Hope this helps a little bit.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    as Kenneth said, it just depends on what the fish want. I like to use both of them if i have them. If you are fishing in an area that has no shad at all, maybe you should try it. channels are scavengers and they will eat anything that they want, cut shad has worked for me a lot when fishin got slow.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WHAT PART OFTHE CUT BLUEGILL IS BEST I NEVER HAVE LUCK WITH THE HEADS

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Heads are the only part of a bluegill that ever worked for me. My avatar pic was caught on a bluegill head and I have got a few 3-6 # channels on heads.

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've caught several channels over 10#"s on gill heads. I have caught a few on gill fillets, but the heads seem o work alot better. Given the choice of just one, I would go with cut shad or shad heads.:big_smile:
    chip

7. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

With the question with the blue gills, its all what the cats want and how big the cats are. I had days when I ran out of bluegill heads and they stoped biting. I also had days when they didnt even look at the heads and prefered the body part with the guts. And I also had days when they didnt even look at my bluegills and only ate my fallfish(big shiners). So always bring more then one cut bait and have fun!

8. joe shmoe

joe shmoe New Member

State:
    sw pa
    what do u guys think would be the best bait in sw pa. i use chicken liver

9. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IMO I have had better luck with cut shad. I have used it a lakes that do not have shad normally and they have torn it up,caught my 2 biggest cats so far on shad. They were 23lb'der and a 20lb'der. It might have something to do with how oily the shad are and the sent gets farther??? I dont know for sure but thats what has worked for me in the past.

10. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Down here in the South, any lake/river that has shad and bluegills - shad will almost always out perform the bluegills. They are more of an oily fish which REALLY attracts the channels. Herring works the same as shad, as does carp - any oily fish really.

As the previous posters said - if there are no shad/herring in that body of water - then I would go with the bluegills. Up north where I fish, there are no shad - so I stick with the bluegills. I'm sure shad would still work cuz channels (and blues too) love that oilyness (like bacon, or shrimp). People up there use suckers or chubs instead as I hear those are oily fish as well.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just got a net and ive tried everywere but i cant get any shad and i know its the best blue and channel bait, need some help

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if your lucky enough to be in state where its legle trout heads work almost good as skipjack heads.

13. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the best cut bait for the channels in the lake that i fish is the gut portion of the bream, then the head. I have heard that the head holds most of the scent that drives cats nuts.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I like to use shad in waters that have NO SHAD in them. I caught alot of channels cuttin them up. when i have bluegills i use them. the gills seem to get less bites but the bait will work longer than cut shad. I like to replace the bait on my jugs w/ shad every 2hrs. with my gills 3-4hrs.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The key to success is to have a variety of baits available. Banking on one is tough and asking for failure. Some days it works, some days it does not.

Bluegill heads are by far my favorite bait for channel cats. I drift a lot and catch the majority of my fish, especially bigger fish, on bluegill heads. Gizzard shad is a good bait, and threadfin work great for smaller channels, but I will take my bluegill heads for the bigger channels any day.